1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

U.S. against the immigrants

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by boots, Jul 11, 2007.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

A colleague of mine interviewed the chairman of the Board of Supervisors in Prince William County, and these are some of the quotes he gave regarding the new law. Essentially the details aren't worked out yet, and they're well aware they'll be going to court to defend whatever they end up passing. The quotes are from Corey Stewart.

"At this point we're only going to check to see whether or not they're illegal immigrants if we have probable cause to think they are. And that would probably be the absence of not having a drivers license for example... The intent was to deny all services including education services, but it's pretty clear we're unable to do that under existing law."

"We're going to have to come up with a probable cause standard for the police department, and what that is likely to involve is the absence of a drivers license or some other indication that the person is not in the county legally and then at that point we'd do some sort of immigration check."

"We're going to have to be very careful of that (racial profiling), in fact that will be our prime concern to make sure it doesn't result in some sort of racial profiling and potentially a lawsuit against the county for that."

2. boots

boots New Member

Racial profiling is done a lot in Prince William County.

3. Flying Headbutt

4. boots

boots New Member

There have been several instances over the years about PW County.

5. Flying Headbutt

Can you list them, even a couple? I'm not saying you're lying, but I just don't recall them.

6. boots

boots New Member

I'm sorry I can't cite them. It has been common knowledge by some of my friends of color that PW County and Stafford County officers aren't minority friendly.

7. Flying Headbutt

Stafford County just isn't non-good ole boy friendly. Prince William, well, there isn't a majority race anymore there. I get what you mean, but I'd be inclined to think those days are more in the past.

Draft saved Draft deleted