1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

U.S.A.! U.S.A.!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Feb 18, 2015.

1. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

"While ISIS was trying to take over the Middle East and wantonly beheading and burning alive innocent hostages, America's greatest president, Barack Obama, was filming commercials with the greatest invention of the 21st century -- the selfie stick. Those commercials promoted Obama's Affordable Health Care Act, which was the selfie stick of federal legislation. Before President Obama and the rise of selfies, America generally sucked. Ultimately, the ACA was extended throughout the world, which was great for all the non-insured global citizens who survived beheadings and burnings."

old_tony likes this.
  2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

IS-ghazi.

3. Mr. Sunshine

Miracle on ISIS

Songbird likes this.
  4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

5. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Krieger complained that the framework portrays the Founding Fathers as "bigots" and suggests that Manifest Destiny was "built on a belief in white racial superiority and a sense of American cultural superiority," rather than "the belief that America had a mission to spread democracy and new technology across the continent," as he put it. And instead of discussing the "the valor or heroism of American soldiers" during World War II, the course outline mentions U.S. internment camps and moral questions raised by the dropping of the atomic bomb.

I can understand why people would take issue with this.

6. Dick Whitman

It seems like there's room for both. And I suspect that, despite this nincompoop's statements to the contrary, both were indeed covered.

7. LongTimeListener

They sure were in my AP history class, which was taught by as liberal a man as I had ever met to that point in my life.

We learned about D-Day and also about internment. It is possible, perhaps even easy, to fit in both.

8. Mr. Sunshine

Which one did he prefer teaching?

9. LongTimeListener

Didn't show a preference. I know this doesn't square with your "America Love It Or Leave It" that most of us outgrew by age 20 or so, but there are people with the ability to look at the whole picture.

One thing he did get pretty fired up teaching was McCarthyism. I'm sure you would have been sitting there, even today, wondering what the fuck was so wrong with good old American Joe.

10. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

What's the official threshold for percentage of facts you must ignore in order to be considered adequately patriotic?

11. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

My AP US history teacher was probably the only openly conservative teacher in my school and I thought did a great job showing how dark the Civil War was, how controversial Vietnam was and what it was like during the Civil Rights Era. We basically stopped at 1968. I can't think of anything that I wish had been handled differently.

I'm sure re-writing American history will go over about as well as "New Math" has. :D

12. Dick Whitman

It seems that when these battles occur, people usually don't have a huge issue with telling it like it is about the Civil War, except for your occasional Southern revisionist who wants to argue that it wasn't about slavery.

It seems like the real battle ground is the Founding Fathers, as well as treatment of Native Americans. There seems to be a real issue with treating that early group - Washington, Hamilton, Jefferson, etc. - as flesh-and-blood human beings rather than near-deities.

Draft saved Draft deleted