1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

U.S.A.! U.S.A.!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Feb 18, 2015.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

A group of Oklahoma state legislators is pushing back hard against the AP History curriculum for high school students because, in a nutshell, it does not promote "American exceptionalism" and is not patriotic enough for their blood:

Why Oklahoma Lawmakers Want to Ban AP US History -- NYMag

2. EddieM

EddieM Member

In other words, the curriculum doesn't lie enough. Awesome.

You know it's bad when an already whitewashed, male-dominated version of American history doesn't suit the establishment.

FileNotFound likes this.
  3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Roughly half of education "policy" in the US is efforts to insure that children grow up as ignorant as adult politicians.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Instead of Eyes On The Prize, schools will be required to show American Sniper.

Songbird likes this.
  5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

6. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

A school board member in a suburban Colorado district tried to do the same thing this past year and got absolutely blasted. Teachers did organized sick days where whole schools had to be shut down and students walked out for several weeks. They didn't necessarily table it, but they tweaked it a lot and said there would be more community input. It's an a stupid idea and a great way to teach freaking history. Something that already and actually happened!

7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

For a country that likes talking about how great and strong it is it certainly has a very thin skin.

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  8. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

Seems like a good time to point out that when I was in grade school and junior high in the 80s and early 90s, our US History classes always seemed to take the same path from the Revolution through Lincoln and the Civil War and to WWI and WWII. But the school year always seemed to end before we got to the Korean and Vietnam wars. It wasn't until I took US History AP in the 11th grade that we actually covered the causes of, and stateside opposition to, Vietnam.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

With WWII reading something like this: "Hitler took over Europe and then Japan attacked America and the United States joined the war and led the D-Day assault and Germany surrendered and then Japan surrendered and yay America!"

Songbird likes this.
  10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

My son is 5 1/2, and has started to show some interest in American history. The other night he asked me, "Why did Japan want the United States to join in the war?"

"That's an easy one, son! Well ... um ... yeah, whoo, it's getting late. I'll finish telling you about it tomorrow."

Songbird likes this.
  11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Spartan Squad likes this.
  12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Does anybody know any specific objectionable passages?

Draft saved Draft deleted