1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

U.S.A. - Mexico World Cup qualifier - Columbus, Ohio

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Feb 11, 2009.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

In the 3rd minute, the mexican player had the whole goal to shoot at.. He shot at Howard.

A decent U-14 goalie should have stopped Bradley's second goal. The keeper was slow getting down. Slow reaction time.

A container of liquid trailed Donovan and splattered behind him as he carried the ball on the second goal. I'll leave it up to the cleaning crew to determine the contents.

2. I saw that too, a couple of times actually (one other time on a corner DMB took? I think?). Not cool. Was wondering whether it was ugly in the stands, but from what MM says, sounds like it was controlled chaos.

3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

The second Bradley goal took a dip, but it was still an easy save. I'm surprised that there weren't more long range efforts by either team with the wet turf and the wind.

4. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Best comment on the WashPost blog:

"Frankie say Relax."

5. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I didn’t mind the sub for Altidore, but I didn’t really want to take Ching out. I thought he was playing well. Dempsey seemed to really be dragging and he wasn’t almost invisible at times. I would have rather have Bradley sub out Dempsey to move Donovan to the wing and have Ching and Altidore up top.

I would have also removed Kljestan sooner. I thought he played well enough but he just turns the ball over too much for my liking. I would have liked to see Clark come in for him quicker.

I’ll be watching this game again as my view was from behind the goal, so I may revise it a bit.

Additionally, it seems as though there were “a lot of eyeballs on Columbus.” There were about 1.2 million viewers on ESPN2 and another 10.7 million watching on Univision.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Interesting stuff on the ratings.

I don't understand this:
    Beyond the Hispanic market, Univision was the No. 1 destination during the match’s two-hour time period among adults and men 18 to 49 years old in Los Angeles, Miami, Houston, Dallas, Phoenix, San Francisco and Sacramento; and in all households in Los Angeles, Houston and Phoenix.

Don't understand what that is saying.

I've watched matches on Univision over ESPN's broadcast, but until Uni goes High-Def, I will stick with the four letter network, even with the ridiculous crawl running full time. (Listing the roster depth of the Jet quarterbacks, and their draft guru's prediction of where Mark Sanchez will land is a waste of time and space).

7. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I'm guessing it has to do with those that don't have HD.

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Well, it says beyond the Hispanic market, but all of those cities listed would tend to have huge Spanish-speaking populations.

I'm guessing it was also a bigger draw because Univision is apparently available by bunny ears.

Draft saved Draft deleted