1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

U.S.A. - Mexico World Cup qualifier - Columbus, Ohio

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Feb 11, 2009.

1. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

For me, this is Kansas vs. Missouri times 10. I fucking can't stand Mexico. Bunch of diving, whining, assaulting bitches.

3-0 USA. Mexico is a mess right now. I just wish it was about 25 degrees in Columbus

2. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Yup. That's why they're in Columbus and that's why AQB's post was chock full of ignorance. The majority of fans will be Americans (imagine that!), with a smattering of Mexican fans.

I wouldn't bet on seeing qualifying games in LA anytime soon.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

It had to be eight years ago that they played the WC qualifier against Mexico in Columbus in February. Much colder that night.

4. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Nor should there be... and I say that as a SoCal native sadly mindful of not only the aforementioned torrent of urine bombs cascading out of the Coliseum stands, but the endless sea of Mexican flags blanketing the Coliseum.

Columbus works. So would Duluth, Buffalo or even "Toronto, Canada," as Not So Little Bird said this morning.

5. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Kansas City had a pretty good crowd for a 2002 qualifier against Costa Rica. Wednesday night, crowd was something like 35,000 (upper deck closed) and I'd say it was 80 percent American.

6. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

(Avoiding needling kingcreole too much for being such an unabashed fanboy . . . not every other team who plays the U.S. tough is "a bunch of DIVERS!!!" you know)

I'll second whoever said 1-0 would be a fantastic result tonight. The weather conditions are not expected to be favorable for any type of soccer, whether it's the plodding style we are forced into by our dearth of creative talent up front, or the chippy-with-some-possession-mixed-in favored by the Mexican squad.

A bad roll/bounce can change the game tonight. We still seek finishers, and Mexico's talent level is nothing to sneeze at. Nothing is assured.

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I'm hoping for a qualifier in Dallas, then I'll get to go. Probably won't happen, though.

Not too happy about having to watch tonight's game on a 13-inch TV in the office, however.

8. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Good start by Mexico, but the U.S has come back into it. Disappointing Donovan didn't hit the target with that free kick.

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I hate it when ESPN broadcasts the game and does shit like the SportsCenter updates and then having a sideline reporter is fine, but have him talk while still showing the game.

I don't care about the voodoo doll. I'd already read the story on it.

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Damn, was that Dempsey that just blew that wide open shot?

11. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Didn't blow it, well charged down by the defenders I thought.

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I can't see that well, but it looked like he was wide-open and then kicked it right into a defender.

Well, at the worst it was a good ball by Beasley.

Draft saved Draft deleted