1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

U.S.A. - Mexico World Cup qualifier - Columbus, Ohio

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Feb 11, 2009.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Thought it was important enough for its own thread away from the regular running thread. Its my favorite sports rivalry, and whatever #2 is, isn't close.

Weather isn't that bad for tonight - 59-49 and rain.

http://www.weather.com/weather/wxdetail/USOH0212?from=36hr_fcst_undeclared

The Mexican team is a mess. Any predictions?

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I predict the vast majority of the crowd will be in the country illegally.

3. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

I guess AQB thinks the majority of people at the game will be Colombians.

4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Predictions? Pastor has too much to drink at the game.

I don't like this game first. I'm not sure where we are as a team and I would like some better options on the flanks in defense, at d-mid and at striker to emerge.

If we get 6 points from the first 3 games, I'd be thrilled.

5. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Mexico is missing a lot, and it's hard to believe they'll all of a sudden start playing well -- especially in that kind of weather.

Still. . .I can't imagine Beasley will play much and the right and left side of defen(c)e are still a mess. And apparently Marquez and Pardo will be back for Mexico.

1-0 would be a fantastic result.

6. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Will there be anywhere to watch this online? Out west, I anticipate still being at work for the opening touch.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Slightly related thought ... didn't USA Soccer stop playing Mexico in El Lay and the Southwest because the Americans kept losing the home-field advantage?

8. poindexter

This thing is DVRd and I am off the internet and am radio until we get home.

9. poindexter

Yeah, the urine bombs thrown at the American players at the Rose Bowl tended to take away from the home field advantage.

10. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I believe that it is on ESPN 360

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

ESPN360, but the majority of Internet providers aren't on board. Free to .edu and .mil Internet users, though.

12. mjp1542

mjp1542 Member

With the U.S. issues along the flank in the back, I think it might take more than one goal to get three points tonight. I think they get it, but it won't be easy. Howard is going to be tested, as the Mexicans have said they are going to shoot from everywhere.

Draft saved Draft deleted