1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

U. of Virginia football beat writer, Charlottesville Daily Progress

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Mystery Meat II, Jun 5, 2012.

1. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

https://mediageneral.silkroad.com/epostings/index.cfm?fuseaction=app.jobinfo&id=23&jobid=1431&company_id=16186&version=1&source=ONLINE&JobOwner=993396&level=levelid1&levelid1=2750&parent=News&startflag=2

Sports Reporter

Tracking Code
    CDP-000227

Job Description
    The sports writer position includes leading coverage of the University of Virginia football program, and includes coverage of other UVa sports programs as well as general assignment sports in Central Virginia as needed. The position plays the most critical role in growing audience on multiple platforms for the newspaper's most important content areas for growth, especially on digital platforms. The sports writer is committed to urgency and accuracy, comfortable with social media and has demonstrated ability to break sports news content.

Required Skills
    Essential: Interviewing skills; solid writing skills; ability to produce stories on deadline; knowledge of sports. Experience and demonstrated ability on social media platforms. Comfortable with producing print and multimedia reports. Preferred: Ability to pitch in across beats, including shifts occasionally on the sports desk in a page proofing and agate role.

Required Experience
    Demonstrated experience covering a sports beat with proven ability to produce enterprise sports journalism.

Job Location
    Charlottesville, VA US

Position Type
    Full-Time/Regular

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

First hint for keeping the job: File copy.

Of course, you'll have months of NOT filing copy before any repercussions. So there's that.

3. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

Anything that goes that far ought to have a stewardess on it.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

And this team is going to be very, very good very, very soon.

5. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Fuck you. Car batteries are stolen all the time in the same week there's a death in a family. Heartless bitch.

6. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Wasn't this just posted a few months back? No hires made?

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Wasn't there something also where like he didn't tell anyone until the next day? When he was supposed to file the night before?

Hell if I can keep the drama straight.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Not sure why this is being posted again, though I haven't had much chatter with the Cville folks about it.

To reiterate, sounds like a big boy job. Probably won't pay like one, unless there's been some massive change with the new ownership coming in.

9. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

I'm not even going to lie, I have no idea how long this posting has been up. I just saw it on the MG jobs site when I was making another job search at Starbucks and saw it. For all I know it's been there for six months. You would presume that if they filled the position, they would have removed the listing. Or maybe not. So if the C'Ville SE gets a flood of resumes for a job that turned out to not exist, well, my bad.

10. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

It hasn't been filled. Last I heard the process got pushed back so they would try to hire somebody in August . It may very well have been reposted. There's also have an opening for a managing editor and I think they plan to fill that first.

11. With Warren Buffett taking over the Media General empire, this might be a good time to jump in here. Unfortunately, I'm not in a position to relocate, though this would be tempting. C'ville I hear is quite nice, though pricey.

12. JPW

JPW New Member

I haven't been around long enough to know the history of this opening, but I sent them my stuff and because of a few things in my life right now this would be a dream situation.

Draft saved Draft deleted