1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

U. of Michigan Concussion-gate

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Since we now have posts on this fiasco going on no fewer than three active threads, and it doesn't look like it's going away soon, it's probably a better idea to give it a thread of its own.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I honestly wonder if Hoke has coached his last game there.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

As I said on other threads, this seems like a convenient excuse to fire him after getting blown off the field by Notre Dame, Utah and Minnesota.

Not saying it's not an egregious offense, but if this had happened on the watch of Nick Saban, Bob Stoops or Urban Meyer, there'd be no serious talk of firing them.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Unless Craig James kid played for them.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

'nuff said

6. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Agree with this. Michigan would love to fire this guy and then say, "This isn't about wins and losses."

7. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Well, concussion-gate is definitely something you can hang your hat on with a little more gravitas, rather than merely talking about the losses. Heck, Bob Knight's temper wasn't an issue for IU administrators until he stopped winning titles. There are all sorts of flaws winning covers up.

The concussion issue also would bring up the possibility that Michigan could fire Hoke and not have to pay his $2 million buyout. Except that Michigan is so knee-deep in defending him, that's not possible anymore. I presume Dave Brandon is trying to save himself, too, and prevent the lawsuit that should come from Morris and his family after his career is over.

Could the Big Ten possibly suspend Hoke? If nothing else, you'd think the sport of college football would get grief if it didn't seem to worry that coaches let players with concussions stumble around all over the field.

8. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I think it's very telling that Morris was diagnosed with a concussion on Sunday, then Hoke wasn't made aware of that until after his press conference on Monday. And apparently they had a practice on Sunday night. Did Morris participate?

I assume there were medical personnel, and Morris, at the practice. At no point did any of them think to tell Hoke, or did Hoke every think to inquire, about Morris and his injury? That's absurd.

And the AD had no contact with Hoke from Saturday until Monday, as all this was blowing up in their faces. I think Bob is spot-on about the firing without paying the buyout.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Until Hoke yells "sweep the leg" concussion-gate won't show him the door.

10. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

From the postgame ...

-------------------

Hoke was asked after the game if he had seen Morris wobble following that hit.

"I did not. I didn't see it," Hoke said. "I can only answer for me."

-------------------

And apparently Morris was at practice on Sunday night, presumably after being diagnosed with a concussion, and Hoke had said he would have practiced if not for the ankle injury.

There may not be a "sweep the leg" moment, but there's enough to warrant him being fired immediately. Hoke may not be evil, but he's too fucking dumb to be at the controls of a program like Michigan's.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Possibly, but this all assumes that Hoke was telling the truth Monday.

12. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Is there another storied program that worships a guy who never won a national title? #MichiganMen

Draft saved Draft deleted