1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

U. of Kentucky stops student paper from distributing at football games

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Crash, Oct 16, 2010.

1. Ben.Breiner

Ben.Breiner Member

The answer is to hand them out around the stadium. I know at my school it was set up so that only certain advertisers had a monopoly inside the the building. The paper had other advertisers and there was the issue. The student paper just positioned people at key points with heavy foot traffic (usually near but not too close to gates) and handed them out.

The process of handing them out is not fun, though there is some joy in standing next to the guy selling programs and screaming "just like a program but it's free" while giving away papers.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Well, if the school is making money off the contract, it has every reason to want to enforce it.

No one has any sort of guaranteed right to distribute or be present at anything. I've been turned down for press passes before and -- when working as an SID, I turned down people. It's the university's event and they can manage it pretty much anyway they please, even if they are a public university.

Now, what goes on outside the actual facility is another matter.

3. CCaple

CCaple Member

We ran into a similar problem with ISP at my school two years ago. Our "Game Daily" edition always featured full rosters for each team -- also the only real reason to buy the school's $5 program, which used to be free not long ago -- so ISP told us we couldn't print anything that competed with them.

We did it anyway, and nobody said anything. Might have been because we only distributed in tailgate areas outside the stadium. Can't remember if there was anything formal worked out with ISP or not.

Draft saved Draft deleted