1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

U. of Iowa teaching video games journalism course

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Norrin Radd, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

http://jimromenesko.com/2012/08/28/video-games-journalism-class-debuts-at-university-of-iowa/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Think maybe the whole "specialization" idea might be going a bit far here. But it is only one class, and I took History of Comic Book Art and History of the Beatles as an undergrad.

2. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Two decades ago in PCU Jeremy Piven was right. You can major in Gameboy if you know how to bullshit.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Is college worth going to unless it offers a few obscure or useless courses?

4. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

The most fun classes I took were Introduction to Refereeing and a Stanley Kubrick Film Class.

5. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I'm actually a big believer that high schools should be doing essay courses on things like the history of video games. Best chance of getting people to write well is by getting them to write about things they're interested in.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Journalism schools are not liberal arts schools, and the current standards for certified journalism schools restrict how many journalism classes a major can take for credit toward graduation. In other words, you're a journalism major and your choices for an upper-level skills course are investigative reporting or video-game reviewing. That's my problem with this setup.

The course is being added to the curriculum to wow prospective students, not to further education. Cultural criticism courses at any good journalism school should teach students how to review and cover video and computer games. There's no reason for this to be its own class.

Now, should anyone even bother majoring in journalism? That's another issue.

Draft saved Draft deleted