1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

U Of Ill Prof Fired For "Hate Speech"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BNWriter, Jul 14, 2010.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Why a public state university is running public relations interference for the Roman Catholic Church seems a little silly to me as well.

Let they pay their own flacks to disseminate their propaganda. They can afford it.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

He notes that they'd already discussed homosexuality in class.

He was mostly OK, up to the last two grafs - then it seems as if he lapses into a little salesmanship:

Natural Moral Theory says that if we are to have healthy sexual lives, we must return to a connection between procreation and sex. Why? Because that is what is REAL. It is based on human sexual anatomy and physiology. Human sexuality is inherently unitive and procreative. If we encourage sexual relations that violate this basic meaning, we will end up denying something essential about our humanity, about our feminine and masculine nature.

I know this doesn't answer all the questions in many of your minds. All I ask as your teacher is that you approach these questions as a thinking adult. That implies questioning what you have heard around you. Unless you have done extensive research into homosexuality and are cognizant of the history of moral thought, you are not ready to make judgments about moral truth in this matter. All I encourage is to make informed decisions. As a final note, a perceptive reader will have noticed that none of what I have said here or in class depends upon religion. Catholics don't arrive at their moral conclusions based on their religion. They do so based on a thorough understanding of natural reality.

3. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

It also might be possible that the University will have to review their relationship with the Catholic center.

http://www.sjcnc.org/learn.aspx

In the "academics" section, there is an implication that the center is teaching courses for university credit.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That last bit is troubling to me as well. If he said what the Catholic Church believes and said that he agrees, that would have been fine. The school hired him to teach the class. Firing him for teaching his students what the church says is ridiculous.

But to say that it is natural law, to basically preach the church's negative opinion of homosexuals, kind of crosses a line.

Oh, and Mark? Your post was a disgrace and speaks volumes about what kind of human being you are. That last bit was not a compliment.

5. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

So he's basically saying non-procreative sex isn't "real" and therefore violates the "natural law."

Thus:

No Masturbation
    No Condom sex
    No oral sex
    No anal sex
    No handjobs
    No pulling out
    No homosexual sex
    No birth control

Hmm... where have I heard this before?

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The Celibacy Ball?

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

What's interesting is that the first part of that long, long email is exactly what it purports to be - a study guide for an exam. So when these last two grafs pop up and lapse into personal advocacy, it's really easy to see it.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Am I missing some sarcasm or irony?

That's a really despicable sentiment.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

LeBron James "the Decision?"

10. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

I can't top that. (no pun intended).

11. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Sadly, based on Mark's long racist and homophobic history of posting here, you are not.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Of course, "The Decision" was nothing but a 75-minute long handjob for LeBron James, anyway.

Draft saved Draft deleted