1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

U Of Ill Prof Fired For "Hate Speech"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BNWriter, Jul 14, 2010.

1. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Because this is university policy and he doesn't have much of a case.

http://oeoa.illinois.edu/campusconduct.html

If he would have said that the Catholic Church's stand is anti-homosexual, he'd be in the clear.

But, he made it plain that the Catholic Church's stand on that issue was also his own.

2. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

I'm kind of at a loss about what to say here. I like to think the best about people in general, even anonymous message board posters. I've spent some time trying to come up with a spin that makes the last line not horribly intolerant. I'm having a hard time. If there's something I'm missing, please, inform me, because obviously I'm not the only one who read it this way.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

He has a long history of racist homophobic posts. He once said, he didn't think whites and blacks should live in the same neighborhoods.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Be nice to think it was just a joke gone wrong, wouldn't it?

Lots of small, angry people in the world, though.

5. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

True, but the big angry ones are scarier.

6. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Where's the e-mail condemning the heathen divorcees? Where's the e-mail condemning the people who use birth control, or have sex outside of marriage, or think women might be qualified to hear and convey the message of God, or violate any of the Catholic Church's other stupid, pointless, medieval rules?

Yeah, that's what I thought.

As far as I'm concerned, any church that allows divorced people to be part of its congregation forfeits its right to try to claim that its bias against gays is based on some sort of adherence to strict Biblical teaching, rather than on simple hatred.

(And just in case this needs clarifying, I don't think any church should exclude divorced people.)

7. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

You're a piece of shit.

8. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

That is my hope.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

It is not.

10. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

Oggie - it's not as plain and clear as you think. Except for an odd paragraph at the end of the e-mail where he doesn't state that his arguments are based on religion (and academically, he's right - they're based on the philosophies underlying the religion, but it reads weird), it's all couched in academic terms and as an explanation of some of the underlying philosophies of Catholicism.

Link to the original e-mail is here, btw: http://www.news-gazette.com/news/religion/2010-07-09/e-mail-prompted-complaint-over-ui-religion-class-instructor.html

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I can pretty much guarantee those issues were covered during the class.

12. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I was basing his profession of the Catholic stance on this, from the original linked article:

Draft saved Draft deleted