1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

U Of Ill Prof Fired For "Hate Speech"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BNWriter, Jul 14, 2010.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The Roman Catholic Church has done little of any substance to prove the perception wrong, thus they get to enjoy its benefits.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

So what you are saying is that it doesn't matter if it's correct, only if it's fair to be incorrect about them?

3. Starman

At this point the Roman Catholic Church deserves the benefit of the doubt on nothing.

4. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

So by that rationale, everyone of Muslim faith should be judged only by the actions suicide bombers?

5. Starman

Most major Muslim leaders have at least expressed disapproval of suicide bombers.

Most Roman Catholic leaders have expressed disapproval that the mean nasty heathen media keeps picking on them.

6. Crash

Crash Active Member

Oh, bullshit.

This isn't anymore a symptom of "liberal blowhards," as you like to call them, than it is a symptom of ultraconservative Christians who think every little thing is an assault on their religion.

We're a nation full of people that hate to hear what the other side thinks, and that goes for both sides. And it's ridiculous.

7. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

Ace - the full e-mail is available online. It's pretty clearly an expanded discussion of the pros and cons of utilitarianism from a Catholic point of view and very much sounds like an expanded class lecture.

I'm about as liberal as they come in terms of "teachers should not force their personal beliefs on students," but firing him over this is a little absurd. If you're taking a course about a specific religion, you're going to have to deal with the arguments that religion has for its beliefs and deal with that on an academic level.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

The point is that a person ought to be free to express their opinion on a subject, regardless of whether or not its popular or not. No one has to agree, but stating one's opinion should not be cause to be fired, regardless of what said opinion happens to be.

As for me, I have no use for the faggots, either.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

You're a pathetic piece of trash Mark. Your life must very sad and lonely.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

OK. Then I agree that it's over the line to fire someone for that and to construe it as hate speech.

11. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

This is the dumbest post in the history of stupidity.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think Starman was an altar boy. Cut him some slack.

Draft saved Draft deleted