1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

U Of Ill Prof Fired For "Hate Speech"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BNWriter, Jul 14, 2010.

1. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

http://www.pantagraph.com/news/state-and-regional/illinois/article_07ef77ca-8b87-11df-843e-001cc4c03286.html

This isn't "hate speech," as the complaint alleges. It's P.C., pure and simple. Yes, I know gay people have rights. But some people still believe as the U of I prof does. But the way the culture has turned, it is now publicly "wrong" to actually express such a opposing view.

I understand the prof's point. I just wish we could get rid of the P. C. mentality that got him fired.

OK.....I'm done. Have at.......

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Unless there is a blanket rule against professors discussing personal moral and religious beliefs, this firing is utterly ridiculous.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

He is an adjunct and could be let go at any time.

He was stupid to send an email to students explaining "Catholic views" that he agreed with.

So I say he deserved to be fired for stupidity but that he shouldn't be fired if he said in class that the Catholic church has these views on homosexuality, etc....

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Here's the worst part of it.

An unidentified student sent an e-mail to religion department head Robert McKim on May 13, calling Howell's e-mail "hate speech." The student claimed to be a friend of the offended student. The writer said in the e-mail that his friend wanted to remain anonymous.

So the kid who was offended didn't even have the balls to complain himself? . And some other dupe sent the e-mail?

I'd kick both those fucktards out of school for being gutless pukes.

5. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I agree with JR. Cowards.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

1) When you are an adjunct, you have the job security of a freelance writer.

2) Why bother having a course called "Introduction to Catholicism and Modern Catholic Thought" if the Catholic you hire to teach it can't actually act all Catholic? Maybe a requirement for a faculty position in the religion department should be that you must be agnostic and you have to teach the courses dispassionately, the way you'd walk children through a zoo and describe the animals in the cages.

3) Firing him sets the wrong example, in my opinion. One thing a college education should give a student, is an ability to evaluate different points of view and argue for or against something based on reason. As long as the student was free to disagree with the instructor's personal opinion without being penalized, it COULD have been instructive for the kid. Instead of the lesson was, rather than making your own argument and engaging him, just get him fired with an anonymous letter. I'd understand it more if it was a less controversial field of study than organized religion. But shouldn't that come with the territory if you are going to offer those kinds of classes?

7. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Why is anyone surprised by this? This is where we are in this version of America.

The political correct whining liberal blowhards in this country have successfully framed the debate on what is considered "tolerance" and "diversity" as "we should tolerate other people and celebrate differences as long as everyone agrees with us...."

And universities have become a cesspool of academic elitist mushheads who think this kind of shit makes them appear smarter than the rest of us.

It is why our educational system is on its way into the shitter.

Kids aren't taught to think for themselves, they are force fed liberal pinhead politically correct bullshit and told to accept it as gospel.....

8. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I really agree with zag.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I hate when people do that.

10. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Adjunct professor. Nothing to see here.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Absolutely, universities should be doing everything in their power to stifle contradictory opinions. Illinois is just leading the fight....

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't mind his contradictory opinion, but it should be kept in the classroom and not as an email.

Draft saved Draft deleted