1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

U of Florida beat writer, Tampa Tribune

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by playthrough, Jan 10, 2008.

1. Buckeye12

Buckeye12 Member

I'm your Huckleberry, and that's just my game.

2. In Cold Blood

In Cold Blood Member

According to the Danville thread, Media General has a company-wide hiring freeze. I assume that means this won't be filled, right?

3. I think that's a weather report ... the whole East and Southeast is under a country-wide freeze. Right? Or is Buckeye killing me some more??

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

While that may be the case, this has to get filled. The UF beat is too important to the Trib for it to be filled permanently by a correspondent.

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I wouldn't be surprised if the mothership gets special dispensation on this one.

6. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

The hiring freeze means they can't hire from outside. If they can't, they'll promote from within, cut back from their (large) preps staff. They won't have a correspondent traveling for men's basketball games too long, I'd think ...

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

MG tends to look the other way when one of its flagship publications needs to fill a position. The Tampa Tribune is the newspaper with MG's largest circulation figure, so anyone will get an exception - fair or not - it would be Tampa.

8. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I might be drifting too far off topic, but does this make it any more likely Richmond goes in house to fill the SE spot?

9. Sam Mills 51

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised. That's how Mike Harris ended up the SE, and he's spoken highly of at least one of the other editors that would be in line for the spot should RTD keep the search in house.

10. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Also keep in mind, however, that Mike wasn't hired for SEVERAL months after he'd been doing it on an interim (read: free) basis. And also several months after they'd brought in numerous people for interviews.

They will drag this out as long as they possibly can.

11. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I'm pulling for Steve Trosky to get the job in Richmond, so going in house would be good in this case. But like IJAG said, MG's been known to let somebody do the work for months before actually giving the promotion.

12. Sam Mills 51

SOP for MG. Draaaagggg it out, save money, use lots of "interim" titles.

Draft saved Draft deleted