1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

U of Florida beat writer, Tampa Tribune

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by playthrough, Jan 10, 2008.

1. It's simply a manifestation of how much interest there is in the beat you're covering is all.

2. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

Hard to believe anyone thinks journalists are arrogant, self-important pricks.

3. I never said that. Must be a revelation you've come to understand about yourself.

4. jmb51879

jmb51879 Member

Aren't obsessed fans with no life the very people who make sure they read your copy each day? What a statement.

5. accguy

accguy Member

Unfortunately it is true. The whack-jobs are our customers.

6. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

So you care at least a little bit? Sorry, big-time pet peeve.

7. Or he's just careless.

8. typed it a little in a hurry, obviously. While I was being careless, I meant to say I couldn't care less. Hope we all have had our grammar chuckle for the day.

It was kinda funny when I realized I goofed. ;)

9. I hate to admit this, but I believe you are on to something here.

10. turnovers

turnovers Member

Boldface: Great advice that I think is lost on a lot of people. Anyone who is passionate about sports journalism should have a short list of papers they would like to be at. Whether those shops are a long shot or not, you still need one. And just because those papers aren't hiring at this moment, doesn't mean you can't send in your clips. Maybe the SE or ASE feels enterprising enough to open up that clip packet on a slow day (like those exist anymore) and your packet stands out. When they are hiring, that editor will remember and you won't get lost in the deluge that comes when a job at that shop is posted.

11. Buckeye12

Buckeye12 Member

In this day, age and job market?
    Better make that a long list of any available employer. Look around, cuts are everywhere, even at AP. The smaller papers are hiring because they're at bare bones minimum. The bigger papers by and large absorb when someone leaves.

12. Well #$%@#$%%#!!!!! Did you have to remind me Buckeye?? It's painful enough to know we won't be here 10 years from now but do you gotta remind me over and over??

It's ok buddy. I love ya man. You only speak the truth.

Draft saved Draft deleted