1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

U of Florida beat writer, Tampa Tribune

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by playthrough, Jan 10, 2008.

1. It happens naturally if you're covering a pro or college beat. You can call it "networking," I suppose. Others call it "making friends."

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Backing up what ACCguy said...

My first job: I had interned there and even though they didn't have any openings, I applied there. They found out someone was leaving in December and they hired me six months early. No job was ever posted.

My second job: I met the SE in a press box, chatted him up and gave him my card when I left. He called me a few weeks later, brought me in and hired me. The job was posted a week after I'd accepted the position.

My third job, I knew the SE and he called me when his beat writer quit. The job was posted, but nobody else was brought in, even though an internal candidate got what most thought was a courtesy interview...

This business is all about networking and if you hear of even a rumored opening (make sure you have it from a reliable source) at least email the SE to show your interest. More than likely they'll be impressed that you showed initiative.

Would you really want to hire a reporter who only applied for jobs that are posted. I'm guessing the guys who do that are the ones who write all of their stories off press conferences and press releases.

3. melock

melock Well-Known Member

I e-mailed last week and got a reply the same night. Then I e-mailed a few clips I have scanned on my computer this afternoon and snail mailed a few more. She didn't seem to have a problem with that.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

And they molest collies. Come on, Mizzou.

Look, I agree with a lot of the points about networking, etc., from Mizzou and accguy. Fine and dandy advice. But all this started with a guy tossing out a fairly innocent question about contacting the source of the job listing. Let it go. I'm glad those who criticize with some variation of "if you're asking you're a lousy reporter" and "if you're just now hearing about this job you're a moron with no chance of getting it" are so well-connected and all-knowing. Congrats for not needing this board.

5. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Amen. Let's concentrate on this job and not all the people that think the world revolves around them.

6. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Well now, a little bit chippy in here.

Has anyone been hired for this Florida gig?

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

It got posted last week. It won't happen that quickly.

8. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

You're hired!

9. Buckeye12

Buckeye12 Member

Over-under here for applicants in the 200 range?

10. Double that.

11. awriter

awriter Active Member

Funny, but every job I've gotten was one that had been advertised. I have had several phone interviews with papers I had sent clips, though.

12. melock

melock Well-Known Member

It's best to ignore dribble like that awriter. I know I did.

Draft saved Draft deleted