1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tyrann Mathieu or Manti Teo?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Feb 26, 2013.

?

Who would you draft with both on the board?

1. Tyrann Mathieu

18 vote(s)
    54.5%
  2. Manti Teo

15 vote(s)
    45.5%
  1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I hate that comparison.

I think Ellerbee played at least 10 pounds lighter at Georgia than T'eo did at Notre Dame, DD. The question, if I am remembering correctly, was whether Ellerbee could play outside linebacker because there were questions about his tackling and ability to shed blocks as a middle linebacker. He played all over the place for Georgia, didn't he?

Physically, those were the questions about Ellerbee, but the things that kept him from getting drafted were everything else, I think. There was a stolen car that he crashed and a bunch of other little petty legal things, a wrap that he didn't always play hard, and a gazillion injuries in college, including something (I am 90 percent sure about this, don't jump me if I am wrong) that I think kept him from working out at the combine.

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

It's not a straight up comparison, I agree. But I think you're overvaluing Te'o's talent. Ellerbee was a clown, but he had a good deal of talent to fall back on. Does Te'o?

I think he has less than people think. The off-the-field stuff has always been irrelevant to me. I just don't believe he's multi-year starter in the NFL. It's easy to make tackles and run down college RBs when your whole defense is designed to tie up blockers and funnel stuff to you.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

How does Teo compare to Burfict?

4. Double Down

At his peak, Burfict (I can't spell his name) seemed like a more explosive player. At least to me.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I believe the gentleman's name is Kevin Van Valkenburg.

And it was a good feature. Then it got clubbed in the head by Mathieu's ex-communication.

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Agreed. At his best, Burfict is a beast.

Unfortunately, he's also a grade A moron. He was the prototypical Dennis Erickson player at ASU.

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I voted for Mathieu mostly for his return skills. I don't think either will be anything special, but I would take either with a third-round pick. Mathieu was in great shape for the combine, which suggests he didn't piss away his year off, which suggests he may not be quite the shithead Pete Thamel and Thayer Evans painted him to be.

8. Double Down

Schefter tweeted this morning that Te'o will "not make out of first round" which -- despite the grammar murder -- means a team down the board has told him they'll be picking him.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Maybe the Harbaugh head shake was a subterfuge.

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Te'o did not make out with his girlfriend, and will not make out of first round.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Te'o was extremely relieved to hear the Orlando Breakers have their eye on him. He fits Hayden Fox's scheme well.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The only NFL guys I trust more than Schefter are Glazer and maybe Clayton.

Schefter has had a rough off-season, but the same can be said about quite a few of the national NFL guys...

Draft saved Draft deleted