1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Typos on the Stanley Cup

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by trifectarich, May 21, 2009.

1. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

That's Mr. Ass to you, boy!

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Well, it could be worse. The cup could be dropkicked in a canal, or left on the curb by a bunch of drunken players.

Oh, wait ...

3. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

Oh for the love of Big Baby Jesus, the 1998-1999 Cup winning goal was legal. A player was allowed to be in the crease if he had possession of the puck and the puck went into the crease first. Hull had possession of the puck on the initial shot, and a rebound off the goalie does not constitute a change in possession (that's why on a delayed call, the play continues after a save if the attacking team picks it back up). Since he entered the crease after the puck and he remained in possession of it, he was allowed to be in it as long as he did not interfere with Hasek's ability to make a save.

The rule was useless, and I'm glad it's gone, but by the letter of the law (and especially given the clarification memo that came out in March of 1999), that's a good goal. They should have video reviewed it, there's no argument there, but it would have stood up as legal.

Which of the four Islanders' entries is fucked up?

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

He's also full of shit and was covering his ass with both hands, and with Bettman's as well. Goals absolutely identical to this were consistently waved off the entire season, and throughout the playoffs.

Would Buffalo have won? Maybe not. But once the goal was allowed, it had no chance.

I suppose you also believe the Soviet's 1972 Olympic basketball medal was fairly won? ;D

5. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

Lewis was frantically covering his ass because there should have been a video review, no question.

But I firmly believe that goal would have stood up to video review. The rule is still the rule, no matter how many stupid intricacies it has, and it doesn't change because people don't know it. Like the dumb-ass "if the puck goes off your glove, even if that glove is holding your stock, it's no goal." Idiot rule that makes no sense, but still the rule.

Buffalo had scored... I wanna say two goals since the start of Game 4 by that point, am I right? And Dallas was playing with their best scorers broken in an amazing variety of ways (IIRC, Hull had two torn groins and a torn MCL, and Modano had a broken wrist). That game might still be going if that goal hadn't been allowed, honestly.

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

And Don Cherry had predicted it would happen.

As for the Cup engraving mistakes, there's really no excuse at all for any of the fuck-ups, much less the most grevious ones - Toronto Maple "Leaes" from 1963 (I think) is one that sticks in my mind. Even the engravings where everything is spelled right look like they were done by a kid in Kindergarten. I've seen the bands from the old Cup before it was redesigned in the late 1950s and they were superbly done - why they went from that to the piece of shit jobs that get done now are beyond me.

Draft saved Draft deleted