1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Typos on the Stanley Cup

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by trifectarich, May 21, 2009.

1. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Truly the greatest shame of all hockey that this man is immortalized on Lord Stanley's cup:

[​IMG]

2. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

That's a great story. Mr. Cougar and I went and saw the Stanley Cup about a year and a half ago and I made sure to look for a few of those typos - Adam Deadmarch, Peter Pocklington's dad, etc. The one panel that jumps out is 2004-2005: SEASON NOT PLAYED.

On a side note. Mike Bolt has great stories about where he's been with the Cup.

3. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

This is what happens when you start laying off copy editors.

4. bigblueman

bigblueman Member

That was just Hull's first step to the Stanley Cup celebration that followed.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Get over it, Buffalo fans. That was in the third overtime of Game 6. Even if the goal is waved off, there's no guarantee you win the damn thing. It's not like it was Game 7.

6. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Funny, the response I got from a former coworker was "their copy editor took the buyout and is now blogging from Moose Jaw."

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I'm not a Buffalo fan but given the league's zero tolerance that year about toes in the crease, that was an egregious fuck-up.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Carl Hairston was facemasked during Kenny King's touchdown catch in Super Bowl XV.

9. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Who said I was a Buffalo fan? My team has its name on that pretty silver Cup more times than anyone else, and I still know a bad call when I see one.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I was speaking generally about Buffalo fans. It was a bad call, no question. Just saying that it wouldn't necessarily have guaranteed the Sabres the Cup if they had gotten it right. They still would've had to win Game 6 and Game 7.

11. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

And, to be fair, Fedotenko's name is already on there.

12. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted