1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Typing without a clue...

Discussion in 'Writers' Workshop' started by Michelle Hiskey, Dec 7, 2008.

1. a worthwhile read:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/07/opinion/07egan.html?_r=1&emc=eta1

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Funny, entertaining, thought-provoking, informative and sad. It has it all.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Good article. Makes me a little sad that I'll toil for years in this profession and be lucky if I ever see $40,000 or $50,000 a year. Meanwhile, these guys get set up for life with a self-serving piece of crap that maybe a few thousand people will read or even give a shit about.

Also reminded me of this old Steve Rushin column from SI about 10 years ago. It reads much better in print than online because of some of the tricks he's talking about, but it's still a stroke of genius.

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1016470/index.htm

4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Yeah, I remember that one. Loved it.

You're right about it reading better on paper. You'd think someone could re-create a bullet online instead of it being a question mark.

That's one of my frustrations about the Internet. Attention to detail about such things almost seems impossible, such as on some sites where the writer's contact information is always part of the final graf, as if it belongs there.

Thanks, Batman. And thanks, Michelle.

My favorite part of Egan's column: There was a time when I wanted to be like Sting, the singer, belting out, "Roxanne ..." I guess that’s why we have karaoke, for fantasy night. If only there was such a thing for failed plumbers, politicians or celebrities who think they can write.

5. Hellboy

Hellboy Guest

Moving words. But the sad fact is we have to ask ourselves why JTP-types are getting paid to write.

Draft saved Draft deleted