1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Typical salary for local sportswriter/sports editor

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by leftwideopen, Oct 25, 2012.

1. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

$11/hour is $22,000 a year. We don't know how small a paper it is, how often it prints, where you live, so hard to know how that salary translates. Fact that you're looking at the job says you can't be that happy in the existing job. Best of luck, as I'd tell anyone trying to move into journalism right now ...

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Yeah, and how fucked up is that?

"Our new sports hire is really terrific, and we were able to low-ball him on salary!"

3. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Hey, even the worst 13-0, nails on chalkboard softball game is typically less mind-numbing than covering a town council meeting. The "fun" of covering sports for a living eventually wears off, but in comparison to a lot of other journalism gigs, there can be less drudgery involved, I'd say.

4. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

What's remarkable is that these numbers I'm seeing -- $9.50 an hour, $10 an hour -- are the kinds of numbers I was making as a very young sportswriter at a medium-sized newspaper in the Midwest.

In 1991.

Newspapers are stealing labor.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Ditto.

Not being reimbursed for mileage is unfathomable. I remember getting piddly amounts that were less than half the government rate, but 0 cents is just insane. Do people realize how much money goes into a gas tank as a local sports guy?

6. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

The availability of tons of out-of-work writers with extensive newspaper experience allows papers to hire qualified candidates for less -- and yet we still see layoffs across the industry. It's going to get worse before it gets better.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I made $10 an hour at a 25-30k daily right out of college, May of '99. Big city exurb community.

8. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

A little while back I was a web producer for a college town paper and managed to negotiate an OK salary based partly on the fact I couldn't take the job unless I could afford to put my daughter in daycare. About a month in the football beat writer job came open. I went into the managing editor's office and he knew what I was going to say before I closed the door.

I said "look, I know the timing isn't great, but we both know this is the job I've always wanted." He said yeah, but if I really wanted it go through the application process and he'd make it work. The only thing was I'd have to take a pay cut.

"How much?"

"Significant. You might have to find cheaper day care."

This was for a job that would have likely given me the first or second most-read byline in the joint.

9. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Straight out of college I worked for a small daily in the Southwest and got $6.25 an hour. Worked out to $250 a week with no overtime. Twenty years later, still working in the Southwest and making $13.25 an hour and I occassionally get some OT. That works out to $510 a week and up to $600 a week. It aint much money, but I'm happy, and unlike many in my field, I've still got a job doing what I love.

If you want to do this job, you ain't doing it for the money. They said it when I got in, and they're still saying it now. It's either in your blood or it aint.

10. Hoos3725

Hoos3725 Member

I think Left meant to say in the first post "I refuse to take a massive pay cut."

11. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

if someone is making $11 an hour, then a tax deduction for unreimbursed expenses such as mileage likely won't come into play because at that wage, the standardized deduction is probably going to be more than itemizing.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Did you make the switch?

Draft saved Draft deleted