1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Typical Peter King

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Oct 22, 2007.

1. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

this is sad

Peter writes, what, 3000-5000 words a week? and you're going to kill him for praising somebody several years ago who has now been revealed to be inept?

and how many of us here have never done that?

show of hands?

thanks, didn't think so.

you guys come off as jealous and petty.

2. Exactly. Finding contradictions betwen predictions and what actually took place is easy. Pick up any NFL/NHL/NBA/MLB preview in any newspaper or website and compare and contrast to the actual results.

Then do the same for either sport's draft. People hit and miss all the time.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Yea but many writers who render strong opinions like King , if proven wrong will admit their error before they write a contradictory one.

Just because he writes 4000- 5000 words a week it is not an excuse. I prefer writers who take their writen word as seriously as I take it when I read their work.

Now it makes you wonder if the original quote was just to blow smoke up Spielman's ass to develop a contact within Dolphin organization.

4. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

And it doesn't help that PK gets a little carried away praising people sometimes.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Probably. On the flip side, how many young GM's are not called "up and coming"? OK maybe not all of them have smoke blown up their rears, but few national guys like King will say "new GM Joe Smith is in over his head and unqualified." They're not going to alienate an entire organization.

6. Boom_70

But then as a reader why should we trust anything that King writes?

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Exactly.

8. leo1

leo1 Active Member

this reminds me of when i worked at a paper in the deep south and we'd get letters to the editor every single week saying something like 'if i were wrong in my job as often as [carl columnist, fred football pickin' guy, etc] i'd get fired.

it's apples to oranges.

9. Boom_70

Yeah but this is Peter effin King not Carl columnist. We expect better. Peter has the ear of kings, sheiks and pro football owners all over the world.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I will now only trust him on predictions if they involve Starbucks stock.

Draft saved Draft deleted