1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Typical Peter King

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Oct 22, 2007.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Written in June 2002

"Memo to NFL owners: Rick Spielman is not just Chris' unknown brother. He's a darned good personnel man who will make one heck of a GM. Soon."

Written Septermber 2007

"The incompetence of the Miami Dolphins front office cannot be overstated. At least the incompetence between 1998 and 2003."

Important to note that during that time Rick Spielman was director of Pro personal and became Dolphins GM. A fact that PK forgot to mention.

Peter must have forgotten all the praise he heaped on Spielman.

2. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

How I long for Boom's vintage undressing of MMQ, a la King. What's Mary Beth up to these days?

3. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

4. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Typical Peter King would be to write everything you can possibly write in the first person because of a misguided feeling of self-importance.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Nice catch.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I recall King had Aaron Brooks pegged as a perennial All-Pro as well. Good thing he's not voting for the Hall of Fame. Oh that's right, he does.
    It's easy to knock King, I'm sure there are weeks he's got to come up with a dozen observations and insights other than the Patriots are good, Peyton Manning is a great qb. I think the big problem with the Dolphins was bringing in Jimmy Johnson, whose heart wasn't in it, allowing Wannstedt to take over and then bringing in Saban. Kind of hard to blame the front office when you have coaches with that much power coming and going.

7. LiveStrong

LiveStrong Active Member

Well, yeah. There's Brett Favre, youth sports, Brett Favre, baristas, Deanna Favre and Mary Beth. And some quarterback in Wisconsin.

8. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I was wondering if this might be one of King's oddest non sequiturs ever:

9. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

That one reads a little like Larry King.

"....Is there anything better than a chocolate chip cookie? With a tall glass of milk?....There is no more polished entertainer working anywhere today than Tony Danza....I like the feel of cashmere....The Yankees don't look so good....Ben Bernanke says half a point and no more. Suits me....Airlines need to widen their seats...."

10. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I always like to see Boom take on PK, but from this thread I must make one of two inferences:

He has a complete catalog of every Peter King column ever written

or

He has a staff of librarians whose full time job is to analyze PK's writing for inconsistencies, inanities and other boorish material.

Either way, the time and/or expense is appreciated.

11. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Favorite Larry King-ism of all-time: "... Is there any better-named fruit than banana? ..."

(well, yeah, actually, Larry, there is. Orange, since it is orange!)

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Really it's not all that complex. When it comes to stuff I read I have almost total recall.. I take everything I read at face value until proven wrong by writer.

In this case I rembered King talking about Chris Spielman's brother as up and coming GM.

To find story all I needed to do was type in Peter King/Rick Spielman in google and bingo the MMQB column in question appears.

I will admit that I do have this funny vision of King trying to "boom proof" his MMQB columns. In his mind he is thinking "he is not going to get me again.

For me King has become like that Coyote in Roadrunner.

Well Peter - better luck next week.

Draft saved Draft deleted