1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Typecast actors/actresses

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MisterCreosote, Mar 16, 2012.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Piggybacking off of the comments in the "Game Change" thread, who are actors or actresses you can only picture in one role?

Woody Harrelson was mentioned in the other thread, and is a good one.

For me, I can't look at anything starring Kiefer Sutherland without picturing Jack Bauer. Ditto for Michael Chiklis and Vic Mackey.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Michael Cera is the beginning and the end of this one. He absolutely cannot play anything but an awkward teenager.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Before Natural Born Killers I never would have thought Harrelson would have been able to pull off anything other than the goofy sidekick. He's an amazing actor.

It's nice to see Jonah Hill branch out a bit too, although it will be interesting to see how long it takes for him to do another non-comedy. I'm guessing it won't help that all of the weight is back on.

4. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Even worse ...

[​IMG]

Alexander at least has gotten other work since Seinfeld (including a couple of failed sitcoms). Richards wasn't getting anything (other than that court room movie where he played Kramer in a three-piece suit) even before his racist comedy club rant.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Richards is probably a lock, too. I doubt if he ever works again.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I thought his last movie did pretty well. I think Radcliffe will be OK because he seems motivated enough to branch out.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I can't watch Michael K. Williams in Boardwalk Empire without thinking of Omar. And that huge scar across his face is probably going to prohibit him from playing anything other than crime figures down the road.

And he's young and can just ditch the glasses.

9. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

He got a lot of love from the theater world for his turn in "How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying." Harry Potter will probably always be his biggest role, but I think he and Emma Watson have viable post-Hogwarts careers. I don't think the kid who played Ron will ever be heard from again.

10. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Larry Hagman as J.R. Ewing

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Doug Heffernan. And anyone else on that show.

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

He plays cops sometimes, too. Thought that's just another side of the same coin.

James Gandolfini has been in a few other movies, like "The Mexican," but he'll always be Tony Soprano.

You can see Jon Hamm straining to avoid the same fate.

There are a lot of guys who aren't locked into a single character, but a type. Steve Buscemi almost always plays a lovable but creepy eccentric.

Draft saved Draft deleted