1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tyler (Texas) Morning Telegraph copy editor/page designer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by pressboxramblings07, May 6, 2008.

1. God knows when this place will actually post the job, but I would hope it will be in the next couple of weeks. So if you're interested go ahead and start getting your portfolio together for when the job is actually posted. I'm just throwing this out there as help and info. if needed. Please note this is not an official job posting, but it will be posted soon, I'm sure. Whoever takes this job is replacing me, so I'll try to give as good an explanation of what I do to hopefully give you an idea. If I don't cover something, feel free to PM me and I'll try to help as much as I can.

The Tyler Morning Telegraph is a 42,000-circulation (Sunday) family owned daily newspaper in East Texas. This job will require both writing and design, I'm sure. The paper requires a Bachelor's degree, and I know they would consider a recent college graduate with proven skills. The paper operates on a Windows-based system called APT Falcon Editorial and paginates in Quark Xpress. The sports department is a staff of seven, including the sports editor. One writer covers city high school Tyler John Tyler and another writer for the other city school, Tyler Lee, and private schools. There is also a lead area writer, a writer for local Juco Tyler Junior College and this job could be the beat for NCAA Division III member The University of Texas at Tyler.

The Tyler Paper covers about 65 high schools, staffs every Dallas Cowboys home game, every Red River Shootout (Texas vs. Oklahoma) and the Cotton Bowl. There also might be some chances to cover the Texas Rangers and Dallas Mavericks. Obviously high school football is a big deal. The last two football sections were upgraded to 44 pages, broadsheet and all color with two covers. High school football in East Texas is great -- I believe seven or eight state champions from the area since 2004. Also good high school basketball and baseball, and this job will likely encompass coverage of all of it.

You are about two hours east of Dallas, four hours from Austin, three-and-a-half from Houston -- and for the gambling types -- an hour-and-a-half from Shreveport. Tyler is a city of just under 100,000.

Here I will try to think of as many pros and cons as possible. Since we're in the newspaper industry, we'll start with the bad.

Cons:
    1. Being family owned could be seen as good or bad. You won't be bought out or laid off, but the pay is not good and the insurance isn't either. Since this isn't an "official" posting and I'm the one leaving, I'll be honest here. Expect the pay to not be over $25,000 and there are two insurance plans -- a free one that doesn't do much and one for $25/week that doesn't do much more. There is no dental or vision coverage.

2. Tyler is in Smith County, which is a dry county. Might be a dealbreaker for some of you, but you don't have to drive too far to get alcohol. The bars close at midnight during the week and 1 a.m. on Saturdays.

3. The Web site sucks. That's all for that one.

4. Mileage is increasing to 35 cents as of September from 32 now. Don't know if that belongs here or in the "Pros."

Pros:
    1. Phil Hicks, the sports editor, is a top-notch guy to work for. You won't meet a nicer guy, and I don't ever remember him once saying "no" to an idea. He'll go to bat for you if you need it and he'll give you opportunities if you ask. He's very laid back and a great guy.

2. The cost of living in Tyler isn't too bad. You can afford to live by yourself or with a roommate. You can find a decent one-bedroom apartment for around $450-550/month, depending on the area. Remember there is no state income tax, so you save money there. But the money isn't good, either. Although gas prices blow period, it's usually cheaper in Texas.

I can't think of anything else right now, but feel free to PM me if you have any other questions. Again, you would be replacing me, so you would have very small shoes to fill. It's not the best paper in the world, but it's definitely not the worst. You'd be working with some really nice folks.

Since this isn't an "official" posting, you can PM me if you want the address or e-mail to send resumes. Let me know if I can help out in any other area.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Re: Tyler (Texas) Morning Telegraph sportswriter/page designer

Where are you heading? PM if necessary.

3. Re: Tyler (Texas) Morning Telegraph sportswriter/page designer

The Oklahoman

4. jps

jps Active Member

Congrats on the move, man.

5. koolbreeze

koolbreeze Member

Yes, well done.

6. redsox99

redsox99 Member

You're going from Phil Hicks to Mike Sherman? Good luck with that. Just kidding, Sherm is a good guy.

7. Re: Tyler (Texas) Morning Telegraph sportswriter/page designer

Thanks a bunch!

Be sure and PM me if anyone has any questions. I should be able to answer almost any question.

8. inkypinky

inkypinky New Member

I'm having my doubts...

9. jps

jps Active Member

Just in general, or is there an actual direction we're headed in?

10. inkypinky

inkypinky New Member

Referring to my still unanswered PM... sigh...

11. jps

jps Active Member

Well, I'd say give the man a few hours at least ... figure he may be busy, you know, working/preparing to move/etc.

12. inkypinky

inkypinky New Member

I was just kidding him. Sar-ree.

Draft saved Draft deleted