1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tyler Summitt out after making Baby Techster

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Apr 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I think that it's awkwardly written, but I think her point isn't that it reflects poorly on Pat, but more that he's a disgrace because of all his mother tried to achieve for women in sports.

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

3. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Well, La Tech, this is what you can get when you offer your head coaching job to a 23-year-old with nearly no experience solely because of his last name.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
  4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

One of my favorite photos, which I will never look at the same way again.

[​IMG]

5. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

"Mama, there goes that man..."

6. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Kid goes straight for the hole, doesn't he?

7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Not defending what he did, but what moron though it was a good idea to give the car keys of a program that's won national titles to a 25-year-old boy? I don't care who his mother was.

8. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Might want to check how old mom was when she took over at UT.

BTExpress likes this.
  9. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

Shows up at women's basketball house like:

[​IMG]

10. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

That was a different time and mindset in college athletics. In most cases, women's sports were on campus just because they had to be. ADs didn't want to deal with them, so the coaches were whoever an athletic department could find, sometimes.

You're a volleyball coach? That's sort of like basketball. You're a basketball coach now.

That was pretty much the situation at a school where I used to work.

Now, there's (relatively) big money in some women's sports, so a university can't just hand the reins to whoever happens to be walking by the gym that day.

11. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

The idea that a 25-year-old is a "boy" and thus shouldn't be expected not to collosally fuck things up is what I was referring to. That's a cop-out.

YankeeFan and HanSenSE like this.
  12. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

From Pat Summitt's wiki page. The two eras are like comparing apples to boulders.

Just before the 1974–75 season, with women's college basketball still in its infancy and not yet an NCAA-sanctioned sport, 22-year-old Summitt became a graduate assistant at the University of Tennessee, and was named head coach of the Lady Vols after the previous coach suddenly quit. Summitt earned $250 monthly and washed the players' uniforms - uniforms purchased the previous year with proceeds from a donut sale. Summitt recalled that era of women's basketball during a February 2009 interview with Time Magazine. "I had to drive the van when I first started coaching," Summitt said. "One time, for a road game, we actually slept in the other team's gym the night before. We had mats, we had our little sleeping bags. When I was a player at the University of Tennessee–Martin, we played at Tennessee Tech for three straight games, and we didn't wash our uniforms. We only had one set. We played because we loved the game. We didn't think anything about it."

Songbird and Stoney like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.