1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tyler Cowen: Average Is Over

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I, for one, will welcome our new overlord RickStain.

2. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Gonna need Sonner's take on this.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Damn right average is over. Billy Beane proved that when he wrote that book about himself.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Here are the author's credentials, from Wikipedia:

[/quote]

Does he have as many degrees as 93Devil?

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

If it's inevitable, I'll tell ya -- there aren't many nations where the educated class stays that far above the non-educated class and the military isn't curiously, intimately ready to involve itself.

Mexico, for example, isn't "run" by the white-collar elites. It's run by the cartels. And the military gets it share off the cartels.

You should hope the world this author describes is not inevitable, even if you fancy yourself among the refined. Meritocracies have of way of shifting what has merit. A thug, for example, runs Russia. There's a reason: The serfs like him there.

6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I could visit 100 business establishments in my area today, and I guaran-fucking-tee that there would be some worker doing something poorly at 95 of them.

It's sad that I assume everyone is below average. It's even sadder that my assumption is proven right as often as it is.

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Depends on your definition of average, I guess. If something is being done poorly that much, then maybe that's average.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

49.9 percent of the time, in fact.

9. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

To be fair, pickings are slim since 47 percent of you parasites sit on your asses at home doing nothing.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

well then 2.9 percent of us are making out like bandits.

11. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I would think the point is that even above-average workers at certain jobs will be out in the cold. Will there've cashiers 10 years from now? Maybe not. Will there be bank tellers? Maybe not.

Draft saved Draft deleted