1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ty Willingham tightens up

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by big green wahoo, Aug 27, 2008.

1. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Ross...what's funny is that, growing up a Husky down the street from UW's campus, I never knew about the rivalry. But once I got to Oregon, oh holy shitstorm when UW was involved. Hell, we drew crowds to volleyball (then, still a shitty team) just to taunt UW kids.

Now I know, and even though I live back in UW territory, I still give 'em hell. Including my parents. :D

2. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I covered two Ducks games last year and one of the fans overheard me telling another writer that I spent a year at UW. He shouted some foul shit at me. Never mind that I didn't graduate from there.

I hate the Ducks hoop team cause they knocked my Rebs out in the Sweet 16 two years ago, goddamn Tajuan Porter.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Willingham has 14 years in D-I coaching with a .500 record, meaning he is an average head coach. Weis has given every indication of being catastrophically below average.

4. This is like being asked whether you'd like to be punched or kicked in the nuts.

5. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

I'll make it a fourth on Condotta (how the hell do you not get along with Condotta of all people?) and Withers has become one of the west's great college voices. Funny and on point and you always learn a ton reading him.

The thing about Ty is that the Seattle media is a bunch of puppy dogs, for the most part. They'll hand you your shit when you deserve it, but they don't wake up looking to get you. Ty is essentially picking a fight that will define his last year. No way he survives. Five wins max and Oregon is going to drill them Saturday. Jake Locker is a (very, very) poor man's Tim Tebow, but they don't have anything else.

BTW, EVERYBODY in the Pac-10 hates Washington. The Huskies have the arrogance of SC without the sustained excellence.

6. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Willingham a better coach than Weis, Starman? It's easy to say that and get away with it after a 3-9 abberration for ND, but get real.

7. RossLT

RossLT Guest

You think the football program is bad, walk around the campus for a few hours.There are more arrogant people on the UW campus than I have ever been around in my entire life. Or better yet, work at The Daily as a JC transfer, you might have two conversations in the entire time you work there.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

see stanford. the folks on the west coast still remember the lovefest this guy was given just about every other day during his final season as coach of the cardinal.

9. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Add me to the Bob Condotta fan club. I competed with him when he was at the LA Daily News and I was at the suburban daily. Great guy, top-notch reporter and writer, not to mention the definition of an effin stud and someone who paid his dues.

Bob is also the fastest typist I've ever been around (non-transcriptionist division). I'm not bad (prob. 65-70 wpm when I get going), but he's on another plane. It was disconcerting to be in a press box with him, when listening to him type sounded like a machine gun going off next to you.

Bob also had one of the longest club throws I've ever witnessed on a golf course: spontaneous and impressive to watch.

This means he's a triple crown winner of a different sort: breaks stories, breaks keyboards with his fast typing and breaks clubs.

Folks, you can't teach any of that.

10. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Well, have to say I was not expecting the Ducks to work UW quite like that, jesus that was pathetic.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

it will be a long, long year for husky fans.

12. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

as usual.

Draft saved Draft deleted