1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ty Cobb: Not a Racist?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by lcjjdnh, Jul 18, 2017.

1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Good read. Notable that it didn't mention race at all, though.

2. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

At least according to the interview with Leerhsen on the Ringer podcast, Cobb didn't have editorial control over the book, and once he saw some of the early work by Stump, he was planning to sue to stop it from being published. However, Stump knew Cobb wasn't in great health, and simply waited him out and released the book after he died.

3. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I had a couple of brief encounters with Stump. That ended when he stiffed me on payment for a freelance article I wrote for the program for the PGA Championship at Riviera Country Club in 1983. He told me I'd get $150.
    Afterward, he said there was no money and a byline was all I was going to get. There was no contract or anything. I thought he was a prominent guy and an upstanding fellow journalist. Got that wrong.
    The PGA event was poorly managed and was not well attended. The ticket prices were absurdly high, there was sweltering heat and there were two or three other big events happening in L.A. that weekend, including a huge Dodgers-Braves series.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
  4. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Bought and read the Leerhsen book and I find the case he makes on Cobb's behalf -- certainly in dialing back the wild antipathy against him, not necessarily nominating him for sainthood -- to be persuasive. I remember too reading long before this how Cobb was generous with former ballplayers (Mickey Cochrane in particular) who had fallen on hard times late in life. Also, he seemed to get along with Babe Ruth a lot better than the many tales that claimed he loathed Ruth. Fortunately, the movie "Cobb" built off the Al Stump crap stunk to high heaven.

5. Although the "Atlanta Crackers" gave me pause.

OBTW, That Montville story was AWESOME.
    Another great example of a feature story without the subject.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
    CD Boogie likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted