1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ty Cobb: Not a Racist?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by lcjjdnh, Jul 18, 2017.

1. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

Interesting discussion with the author of a Cobb biography on this podcast. Posting on the journalism board because it's notable how widely this "myth" (as the author would have it) has spread. (Probably also a discussion for the politics thread that the book, according to the (liberal) author, has been praised by conservatives but viewed with skepticism by liberals.)

The Ringer MLB Show by The Ringer on Apple Podcasts

Here's a NYTimes article about the book for those who don't care to listen. It's apparently been out for a while now, but the podcast is new.

Removing the Fangs From Ty Cobb’s Notoriety

2. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Maybe Cobb was an equal opportunity son of a bitch?

3. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

You're damn right I'm ...

... oh, you said "Cobb."

Carry on.

4. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

"Just as long as we still got Cap Anson" -- racists baseball fans

5. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

It is a very good book, well researched.

Joe Williams likes this.
  6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

He wasn't too kind towards men without hands.

7. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I took several baseball history courses in college (my parents were gobsmacked I could get history credits for such a thing) with a noted Cobb biographer and he repeatedly expressed his frustration with how Cobb was portrayed.

8. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I think the historical record is pretty clear that Cobb was a mean son of a bitch. The only way you can think otherwise is to believe that Al Stump, who wrote his autobiography, was the largest fraud in history of journalism. Trying to determine the line between being racist and malevolent can very difficult.

Hermes likes this.
  9. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

That is exactly what the author of the book from 2015 believes. Stump hated Cobb and waited until he died to dish the dirt. All the worst people associate with Cobb is from Stump's biography.

YankeeFan likes this.
  10. LanceyHoward

Stump also did the autobiography of Cobb. It has been a long time since I read it but my memory is that Cobb comes across in that book as someone with lots of grievances against the world and was a bitter, old man. Presumably Cobb had editorial control on that book.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
  11. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

12. LanceyHoward

This is article Leigh Montville wrote for SI in the 90's. He uses Furman Bisher as a primary source. Bisher seems to believe that Cobb had trouble relating to other human beings. The article discusses the problems Cobb had keeping staff and his hair trigger temper.

The Last Remains of a Legend

Draft saved Draft deleted