1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Two Years On: Obamacare

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Zeke12, Mar 23, 2012.

1. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

Really? It seems to be working quite well for them politically right now. And since the law's biggest benefits won't go into effect for another 21 months, it could work well enough for the Republicans to win back the White House and Senate and repeal the damn thing. Polls show that a plurality, if not a majority, of Americans would be perfectly fine with that.

Agreed. And conversely Democrats are horrible at naming things and framing a debate. They just roll it out and expect that everyone will see things their way. And they can't maintain message discipline.

The individual mandate is very unpopular. Some other components are more popular. But the best parts haven't gone into effect yet, so most people haven't seen the positive impact. Makes it much easier for opponents to rally support against it.

I have a feeling that, regardless of what the Supreme Court does, this year's election will be decided by factors besides Obamacare, namely the economy and national debt. Obamacare will be at best third on that list.

But if it does become a deciding issue, the Republicans have the advantage. Again, just look at the polling.

It could be good or even very good. But we won't know for sure for several more years. And the Democrats did such a horrible job putting it together and, even more so, selling it, that it is at best controversial, at worst unpopular.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Unmolested.

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Still hate it.

Still am appalled that fellow liberals can be so easily brainwashed into cheering bad, conservative ideas.

Still hate the "well, it's better than nothing" attitude, as if unintended consequences can never make things worse.

Still think that if it's not unconstitutional, we need a better constitution.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

People are afraid of single-payer, even though it would help many small businesses and entrepreneurs.

5. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

If it's unconstitutional the way it's been challenged, so are Medicare and Social Security.

6. Quakes

Quakes Guest

It's constitutional. If you don't like it, that's fair. But you don't need a better constitution. You need to elect representatives who'll pass laws you like.

7. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

My two cents, within guidelines...

1. I think some form of health care plan is needed. This was not it. This was ram-rodded through Congress ("we have to pass this bill so you can see what is in it") and it doesn't address malpractice insurance, free-market selling of insurance across state lines, etc.

2. The mandate comes dangerously close to the government telling you that you have to buy something or face penalties. Where does it go from here? Does the government intrude in other areas involving food and drink to ensure the Affordable Care Act continues to gain steam? I believe Michelle Obama's "Let's Move" is a program that means well, but the unintended consequence is government is butting its head in and saying what you can't eat as an adult or a child. (See Happy Meal, San Francisco. Also see LA school lunch program.)

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The teabag wingnuts all just had simultaneous orgasms and the vast majority of them don't know why.

9. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Maybe I'm more cynical than many of you, but I'm almost certain that the high court has become too partisan and political that it's going to be another 5-4 decision on partisan lines. Which way it falls will depend on Kennedy, but I can see this getting struck down. But I'll totally admit to being cynical.

And Steve, really, you want to blame Michelle Obama's "let's move" program for far-left liberal governments going apeshit over happy meals and the like? I think her personal investment in the program is entirely well-meaning, and completely unrelated to over-reaching governments, whether they're the ones who restrict happy meals or tax you for buying plastic bags or whatever.

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Reagan was a commie for supporting the President's Physical Fitness Test.

11. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

A lot of really bad laws and codes started out with great intentions. Too many people have ignored the laws of unintended consequences.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

So, never try to accomplish anything good, because it's possible there could be negative consequences. OK.

Draft saved Draft deleted