1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Two Years On: Obamacare

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Zeke12, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

The ACA was passed two years ago today, and apparently legislative anniversaries demand threads now.

But I did have a thought about this.

The GOP will really regret the day they labeled this law Obamacare.

One the one hand, you have to give them credit. Republicans are really good at naming things. And they have succeeded in making the term very unpopular. They're also good at that, too.

Problem is, people like everything that's in the law. That will always win out, in the end.

They are also, I think, going to regret pushing to get the case before the Supreme Court before this election. Because I think they're going to lose, badly, and that will cement the law's place and allow the next Democratic president to build on it.

So, what are all your thoughts on a law that isn't fully implemented, yet?

2. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

Also, too, David Axelrod over at OFA sent out the following, today.

Zeke --

I like Obamacare.

I'm proud of it -- and you should be, too.

Here's why: Because it works.

So if you're with me, say it: "I like Obamacare."

Obamacare means never having to worry about getting sick and running up against a lifetime cap on insurance coverage. It gives parents the comfort of knowing their kids can stay on their insurance until they're 26, and that a "pre-existing condition" like an ear infection will never compromise their child's coverage.

It's about ending the practice of letting insurance companies charge women 50 percent more -- just because they're women.

And Obamacare can save seniors hundreds of dollars a year on prescription drugs -- and gives them access to preventive care that is saving their lives.

President Obama never lost sight of the fact that this reform is about people. People like his own mother, who spent the last years of her life fighting cancer -- and fighting with insurance companies, too.

That shouldn't happen. And because of Obamacare, it can't.

So next time you hear someone railing against Obamacare, remember what they're actually saying they want to take away.

And, today, stand with me in saying, "Hell yeah, I'm for Obamacare":

http://my.barackobama.com/I-Like-Obamacare

Thanks,

David

P.S. -- Side note: Can you imagine if the opposition called Social Security "Roosevelt Security"? Or if Medicare was "LBJ-Care"? Seriously, have these guys ever heard of the long view?

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

It will eventually be known as Obamagate.

As for the long view, both Social Security and Medicare are well past halfway to insolvent without changes and both have cost numerous times what the government said they'd cost when introduced. If you want to count huge failures as successes of the left, have at it.

4. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

I do! I hate it so much, I want it to live long, healthy lives... So I can hate it longer!

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

We are really pushing things politically - just be forewarned we're getting close to going back to NO POLITICS. I suppose this thread will be a good test. It is a pretty big election year, we'd like to be open-minded.

Don't be the one who gives us reason not to be.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The world needs more process stories and less Get Fuzzy. That's what has newspapers in a slump.

7. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

My intention here was to avoid derailing a news thread with political talk.

I promise to be on my best behavior. Also, too, your dogs are cute.

8. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

The thermometer?

I feel fine.

9. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

I don't drink Sprite. I am brand loyal. Only Kool-Aid.

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

As long as Zeke can get his birth control paid for so he doesn't have to have an abortion, he's all for Obamacare.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I'd rather have a puppy.

12. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

A collie?

Draft saved Draft deleted