1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Two years for Plaxico

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Aug 20, 2009.

1. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

If the city's safe enough for Mos Def to walk around alone at night, that's good enough for me.

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Absolutely false. People need to get over the fantasy that celebs get off easier is cases like this. Like I said, I have yet to hear a single legal expert suggest that anyone else would even get a day in jail for this.

Again, I have no real problem with the sentence, but don't pretend this is anything close to standard. It's not.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Sometimes celebrities do get off easy, but not always. Obviously not in this case.

The Stallworth comparison is ridiculous. Different crime in a different state, and the real problem is that Stallworth got off way too damn easy.

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

So am I hearing this right? People are clamoring to WEAKEN gun and safety laws in New York City?

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

It's an extension of the liberal country we now live in. Did you you hear about that cop in Cambridge who was made out to be the bad guy for thinking a Harvard Professor was a burglar.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Let's put it this way, Headbutt. The same guys who are saying this is too harsh would be screaming about NYC letting a star athlete walk if all he got was probation and community service.

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Whatever it takes to keep our football stars on the field.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Based on Chicago murder rates they could use a Plax type case.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

Do they have squeegee guys in Chicago?

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

As ESPN's Roger Cossack said, there are probably a ton of people who have been arrested for this same crime since Burress was booked but we don't know their names. However, that's not to say they haven't received similar sentences.

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Jesus, man, is it this complicated?

No. I am saying he got a much harsher sentence than just about anyone else would have.

I'd be absolutely fine with banning firearms altogether, and don't care that this asshole is going to prison. But don't pretend it's a typical sentence, because it's not.

If it was you or me, no jail sentence. It it was an athlete who isn't a dick, very likely no jail sentence.

Again, that doesn't mean the sentence is wrong. It means it is well out of the norm, and either his sentence is too steep or the norm is too soft. Take your pick.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

And you know this, how?

Draft saved Draft deleted