1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Two years for Plaxico

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Aug 20, 2009.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Attica needs someone who can catch the ball in traffic.

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

Spnited, that law is broken every freaking day.
    I understand the intent and agree that there should be some punishment. However, he shot himself, not anyone else. Two years is pretty stiff for something like that in my opinion.

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

I just think the DA was trying to create some drama.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Been in NYC lately, Drip? Crime rate is the lowest it's been in 40 years, among the lowest of any major city in the world.
    Maybe because of weapons laws that do get enforced.

5. Boom_70

or high profile example for the wannabe gangsters that room the NYC clubs.

6. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Yeah, but to be fair, it wasn't like he shot himself in the leg in the woods. Firing a gun in a nightclub could start a firefight if someone else was packing, could start a general fight, could start a stampede, could do all sorts of bad things that go above and beyond ending a dumbass's football career.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Every single legal expert I've heard talk about this case has said there is typically no jail time involved.

I have no problem with sending someone to jail for something like this, but don't pretend there was no grandstanding involved here. You or I don't get this sentence. And frankly, a football player that people like probably doesn't get this sentence, either.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

Not in the areas I've been and I was there last night and will be there again tonight. Don't go by numbers spnited. Go by the people who live there. Ask them if they think the crime rate is lower. I'm no longer an NYC resident but I willing to bet many people will tell you that number doesn't mean anything.
    But that's another issue.
    I just think two years, regardless of if it Burress or you, or me, is a little harsh, especially after the guy shot himself in the leg.

9. Boom_70

Come on Spnited -- both you and I know that the real reason crime is down is because Rudy took the "squigees" off the streets.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

And shipped the hookers to the outer boroughs.

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

But it wasn't like he intentionally fired the weapon. That's my point. It discharged accidentally.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

Don't know where you're at spnited. I know you're in the area but the hookers are still out and about and making money.

Draft saved Draft deleted