1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Two years for Plaxico

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Aug 20, 2009.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Rather harsh. Even for an idiot like Plaxico.

2. Cousin Oliver

Cousin Oliver New Member

Yeah, that’s what I thought, too. We like to say athletes/celebrities get off easy. But it seems to be the opposite in this case. I can’t imagine Joey Public being sent to prison for two years – even with NYC’s handgun laws.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Anything over 90 days is absurd.

Remind me again how much time Donte Stallworth served?

Plax is a dumbass, but the only person he hurt was himself. Pay a big fine, do a lot of community service and move on...

But I'm sure the DA and the judge are thrilled at the publicity they're getting...

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

I don't care how much Morgenthau is grandstanding. It's good to see the law actually inforced against an asshole athlete carrying a concealed, unlicensed weapon in a crowded club.
    He could have gotten 3 1/2-15 if convicted at trial on all counts. So two years seems gine.

As for the Stallworth comparison, just because Florida law condones vehicular homicide doesn't mean NYC can't enforce ITS laws.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That's bullshit... I'm all for holding him accountable, but this is nothing other than grandstanding by a DA for his own political gain.

If he'd gotten 90 days I'd have thought that was harsh.

6. mb

mb Active Member

Today's lesson: Killing a man while, IIRC, drunk and high is bad. But not even remotely as bad as shooting yourself in the leg.

7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I doubt that Robert Morgenthau needs the publicity and all the judge did was approve a plea bargain.

The law in New York is pretty clear and not everything can be based on what happened with Stallworth in Florida

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

This is wrong on so many levels.

9. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

If he was sentenced based on guidelines set by NYC then I don't see how people can complain. Unless you're complaining specifically about NYC's guidelines which is another matter altogether.

Has anyone written on comparable sentences for non-athletes convicted of the same crime? That’s a serious question, btw.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

Why? It's the freaking weapons law in NYC.

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

I don't think his status as an athlete had much to do with the sentence. It seems that the DA was pretty much intent on giving him some mandatory jail time for the gun violation.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

So how does this post jibe with "This is wrong on so many levels"

Draft saved Draft deleted