1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Two Year Contract for Oden (Seems Like the Norm)!?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mayfly, Jul 3, 2007.

1. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2924136

So the Trail Blazers signed Oden to a deal worth $3.8 million in his first year, and $4.1 million in the second year with an option for a third and fourth. Is anyone else shocked by this? Not the amount of money present, well that, because he is a #1 pick, but also the fact that they only signed him through 2 years? Do they want him to walk if he performs well? It seems to me like LeBron or Wade received much bigger salaries and years on their contracts. The Blazers should pony up to sign him to a bigger contract with more years, but I guess they want to save their backsides if he flops. Thoughts?

Edit: I just read the part about the collective bargaining agreement. Does that mean they cannot sign him to a longer deal in his first year?

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Re: Two Year Contract for Oden!?

I thought rookie contracts could go five or six years. Not sure though. Two definitely seems short.

3. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

I just looked over the CBA in the NBA. They just limited the maximum years on a contract from 7 to 6, and then made the age to be drafted 18 to 19, then expanded the salary cap. I wouldn't be surprised to Oden walk to a better team after the second year.

4. Re: Two Year Contract for Oden!?

Club option for 3rd and 4th year.

Unless Oden busts, he'll be in Portland through 2011.

5. JoelHammond

JoelHammond Member

Dude. Chill. It's SOP under league rules.

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#41

6. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Thanks for the web site. Don't worry. I am not a Blazers fanboy at all, I just thought it was ridiculous that Oden only got a two year deal. But looking at that, it looks like they signed him to the maximum amount of money that they could. Shouldn't the other players be following suit and signing likewise deals?

7. JoelHammond

JoelHammond Member

Yes, and they will. In the NBA (that's a darn good site, BTW, as you said), there's a structure. They'll all sign, and quickly.

8. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

So I guess what will happen is that the Blazers will try to restructure his deal during his first year or after his rookie season to make it more lucrative. Isn't that what the Cavs did with that LeBron fellow?

9. JoelHammond

JoelHammond Member

He cannot make any more money in NBA salary than he already is. He signed for the maximum amount he could make, as the No. 1 pick, for his first four years.

He'll sign an extension after his fourth season, if he likes what's going on in Portland, a la Dwight Howard, another No. 1 pick, will do this offseason.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Thought he was now

11. JoelHammond

JoelHammond Member

Hey slappy, can we keep this on topic please?

Oh, and be sure to wish Idaho (the state, not the former moderator) a happy birthday.

12. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Not to threadjack my own thread, but who was the last prized rookie to sign a huge contract and then flop? On the other hand, who was the last rookie to sign a small deal and then thrive? I am trying to figure this out pre-collective bargaining agreement.

Draft saved Draft deleted