1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Two-timing Times columnist

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by matt_garth, Mar 3, 2021.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Paul Krugman has a full time gig as an economics professor. But everybody knows it. Hell, that's why the Times hired him. It's the fact Brooks did not disclose this arrangement to his readers that makes it hinky. If they knew his connections to Amazon and Facebook, they could judge his work accordingly.

2. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

OK. I think I get it here - - but I have to say that I do not find Brooks' "breech of trust" to be even marginally significant.

Thanks for the explanations but I am not nearly in the same high dudgeon that others are here. For me, there are much bigger problems in the country and in the media organizations to focus on in 2021.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

There’s a significant update regarding Brooks’ hidden conflicts of interest.

4. Danwriter

Danwriter Member

But Fox News and the NY Post will. Perhaps not on this particular situation, but this scenario is the type they pounce on, producing the hed (which is all their readers/viewers see anyway): "NYTimes Columnist Shills For Jeff B On The Side."

5. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

Danwriter: I agree that FOX will pounce on this and try to make it something egregious. Personally, I think this is bigger than a tempest in a teapot - - but not a whole lot bigger. This is like a Category 1 hurricane that never makes landfall anywhere...

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
  6. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

But news orgs still OK with journos witholding reporting for book deals. Pathetic.

7. Danwriter

Danwriter Member

Let's see if Judy Woodruff brings it up with Brooks. On air. Speaking of air: not holding breath.

8. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

His rocking back and forth makes me think something is wrong with him.

9. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

matt_garth likes this.
  10. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

I can’t think of a less important story right now. How is this guy any different from a politician

11. Danwriter

Danwriter Member

12. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

It's a real story but kinda boring.

Give me the days when Spy magazine dished actual dirt about the Times, New Yorker, et al.

Draft saved Draft deleted