1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Two-timing Times columnist

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by matt_garth, Mar 3, 2021.

1. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

2. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

I wondered if Brooks & Shields would be "cancelled" one way or another. Shields got out clean with his retirement. But, looks like Brooks will be in some hot water.

3. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Yeeeeeeeeeeesh...Times management

4. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

NYT can't hit its ass with both hands.

5. Readallover

Readallover Active Member

Special treatment for special people. Brooks will get a pass just like Maureen did.

Severian likes this.
  6. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

I guess I am missing something important here given the strong sentiments above. I do not view people who aspire to be "Weavers" as malefactors and I do not see how Brooks might have been intending to hide his affiliation since he wrote about the people and the idea behind the group at Aspen. He surely should have done his employer - the Times - the courtesy of informing them, but I don't see any monstrous breech of etiquette or ethics here.

Please explain...

7. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

As a prominent columnist at the world's largest newspaper, Brooks is in a position to shape public opinion on whatever subject he chooses to write about. Amazon and Facebook are two of the most powerful and influential companies in the world. Doesn't it seem like a clear conflict of interest if Brooks is financially incentivized to avoid criticism of Facebook, Amazon, Zuckerberg, Bezos, the tech industry, etc.?

matt_garth likes this.
  8. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Bezos in Paradise: The New Media Elite and How They Got There

justgladtobehere likes this.
  9. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

“Mainstream news organizations, including the Times, typically require their employees to recuse themselves from writing about or covering entities or people with whom they have a financial or personal connection. Financial reporters, for example, aren’t supposed to cover companies or businesses in which they’ve invested; doing so would probably raise suspicions among readers that the reporting was tainted by self-interest.

“When a conflict of interest is unavoidable, news organizations tend to disclose them in the course of their reporting or commentary. The basic obligation is to be “aboveboard” with readers so that they can fairly judge a journalist’s possible motivations and outside influences, said Patrick Lee Plaisance, the editor of the Journal of Media Ethics and a communications professor at Pennsylvania State University.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/life...93b798-7d06-11eb-a976-c028a4215c78_story.html

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

As a subscriber, I’m a little bit over the WaPo regularly doing stories about what’s up at the Times. There’s plenty else to do.

SixToe and garrow like this.
  11. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Media is a beat just like sports, politics, and local. And it's not just WaPo: CNN, NYT, WSJ, Huff Post, BuzzFeed, The Daily Beast and many others report on the comings and goings of other newsrooms.

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

NYT did a bit takeout last weekend on Marty Baron's retirement/revival of WaPo.

Draft saved Draft deleted