1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Two Thousand Six Hundred & Ninety-Three to Zero

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by heyabbott, Sep 27, 2006.

1. Sgt. Bilco

Sgt. Bilco New Member

Ben_Hecht: have you read "Infamy," by John Toland? It makes a very, very, very compelling case that FDR (or at least the likes of Stimson and George Marshall) knew damn well the Japanese were coming, the Japanese were coming.

See, hondo, I'm a lefty and I think George Bush is evil, a moron, a bastard ... all sorts of shit, but I can still acknowledge that the patron saint of all of us idiotic Democrats was still capable of hugely terrible things in the name of progress. Of course, having said that and at the risk of really opening a very major can of worms, I would argue that the likes of Hitler and Mussolini and Hirohito posed a more immediate, grave danger to us than Saddam did and that FDR was arguably "forced" into a very difficult, narrow position by people like Republican Senator Taft of Ohio and his fellow isolationists who wanted less than freaking zero to do with the European war. Hell, it was all FDR could do to get the Lend/Lease act passed...

And must i really change the spelling?

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I don't know what this adds, but I had a dream last night that I was banned for what I posted in this thread last night. Only SJ was a bowling alley, and Webby was the dude who hands out shoes, and he bellowed, Charlton Heston-style as he kicked me out, "YOU SHALL NEVER BOWL HERE AGAIN!"

Weird.

3. joe

joe Active Member

Personally, I don't know anyone who wanted to go to war. We called bullshit on the WMD defense long before the war started. Didn't support war then, don't support it now.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I suppose not, Sarge, provided you give Col. Hall enough shit.

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Iraqis don't want us there. Iraqis believe american presence leads to more violence. Siite government thwarts efforts to go after Shiite death squads targeting Sunnis.

Winning the hearts and minds, my ass. This is a clusterfuck of epic proportions.

http://www.voanews.com/english/2006-09-27-voa73.cfm

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

You can't win hearts and minds by killing people.

You drop 20,000 washing machines and refrigerators and boxes of food and clothes and shit that will *help* people IMPROVE their lives -- instead of dropping bombs -- and maybe you can start to win hearts and minds.

Draft saved Draft deleted