1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Two Thousand Six Hundred & Ninety-Three to Zero

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by heyabbott, Sep 27, 2006.

1. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Yes, I think he knew there were no WMD and he knew the country wouldn't support it if he just said he wanted to go in and make the country a democracy, so he told everyone there was, repeatedly, in order to get enough support and patriotism for a war that didn't need to be fought.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Only when he's not writing.

3. And he was not allowed to.
    Bill Clinton and his administration saw to that.

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

That's fine, spup, but I'm still trying to wrap my mind around the concept that he'd lie about WMD just because he wanted to make a democracy of Iraq. I'm a pretty sharp fellow, but I can't connect those dots.

And I always thought the anti-Iraq war folks said the reason GWB lied was because he held a grudge against Saddam. When did that change, if it did?

Were there no anti-war folk on the intelligence committee who didn't believe the intelligence they saw? If not, don't they share a little of the blame, too? Could the administration have manipulated all the intelligence to bs the senate committee?

Sure, the guy's a country bumpkin. Sure, he's probably not a good president. But to think he'd lie us into a war in which he knew even one person would die is a concept I can't grasp.

5. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

I don't think it's changed necessarily. I think people believe a few things about the war in Iraq. I have no fewer than 10 friends in Iraq right now fighting a war that was started for reasons other than what the American people were told it was started for. That is unacceptable.

I don't think he really cares about anyone other than himself and his family (and their money).

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

So you're finally making it official that Democrats can do no wrong.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

TBF -- tough for me, too . . . but then I remembered who W's cronies and allies are,
    and it went down, easier.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

No, I'm saying that your comment is irrelevant.

It's just another variation on the pathetic "Clinton got a blow job!" argument

9. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

My thoughts and prayers are with your friends, spup.

So B_H, you think he lied about WMD for the sake of oil and money, not about making a democracy of Iraq?

So he started a war he knew would kill many, many Americans to make more money? Wasn't he pretty wealthy before 2000?

Still doesn't add up for me.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

This goes both ways . . . if you insist to me that FDR knew Pearl Harbor was coming,
    and let it go, because he knew he needed it in order to swing the populace to a war
    mentality it showed no signs of embracing, previously . . . I wouldn't waste a good deal
    of energy trying to dissuade you.

'Course, that was Hitler and Tojo, and a situation which was dealt with by conventional
    means, against conventional enemies (until the last act in the Pacific) . . .

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I think he did it for Poppy . . . and to satisfy the neocons' fantasies . . . with the oil a
    vital underlying consideration.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I shudder to think how expensive it's going to be for Real People (i. e., the American Middle Class)
    to deal with this mess, long after W's tucked into that Crawford mudhole.

Draft saved Draft deleted