1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Two takes, or takedowns, on 'Redskins'

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by inthesuburbs, Sep 18, 2009.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I heard from a former editor that the name Redskins was given to the team because one of their first coaches was a Native American whose nickname was Redskin.

2. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Both are partially correct. From The American Prospect on the subject:

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

But...but...I thought all Native Americans had no problem with the name.

Damn, it drives me nuts when people argue that. Some have a problem with it. Some don't. There is a fairly diverse group of cultural backgrounds lumped together under the label of Native American, so they are not all in agreement on such things.

It offends some of them, which is enough for me. Not that I ever expect it to change, but it should.

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I agree that the name should be changed. It shouldn't have to take a court order to do it.

What SHOULD happen is that the team's owner should announce that he is changing the name in recognition of its offensive nature. I'm finally going to agree with an old Tony Kornheiser column. They shouldn't do it to be politically correct. They should do it to be correct, period.

However, doing the right thing is as foreign to Daniel Fucking Snyder as a Super Bowl appearance.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Exactly right on all counts. Sometimes I forget how sharp Kornheiser can be as he rambles on about ridiculous crap.

Draft saved Draft deleted