1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Two takes, or takedowns, on 'Redskins'

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by inthesuburbs, Sep 18, 2009.

1. AD

AD Active Member

Here's my smell test. i see a group of native americans and walk up and say, 'hey, redskins, what's shaking?'

pretty much guaranteed that they're going to have to scrape me off the sidewalk.

change the stupid name. it's ugly and -- like the franchise -- vastly overrated. it's the nfl, the biggest game in town: you think the fans are going to turn on the franchise? baltimore got a new team called the ravens and everyone in town is behind them. snyder'll sell tons of new merchandise. enough with this nonsense.

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Plaschke writes about Southern California all the time.

This is within his rights, and wheelhouse, as a top columnist for what at least used to be a paper with a national stature.

3. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

AD will those Redskins scalp you?

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

All of these were stuck with those names from the start. Washington had a great, classic name and made it dissappear.

Wes Unseld would never, ever be a "Wizard."

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Execpt Snyder would see it as a source of income and change nicknames every few years, just to finance another Deion Sanders comeback.

6. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I went to latimes.com. There's the little "search" box at the top right corner. I entered "Plaschke" and "Carroll" and, lo and behold, a column on Pete Carroll, from Seattle...two days of the "Redskins column."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/college/usc/la-sp-plaschke20-2009sep20,0,4387554.column

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Anybody else remember these restaurants?

8. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Two of my best friends from high school, one white, one black, used to ditch their morning class and head 2 blocks down the street to Sambo's for breakfast.
    Eventually, the black guy assumed the nickname Sam and the white guy became Bo. Those evolved to Sammy and Bobo.
    40 years later, they still have those nicknames. Last weekend, we were all together for a mini-reunion. We went to this coffee shop we have been going to each year for the past 6-7 years (which is 400 miles from where we went to high school). Same manager. Sammy and Bobo asked the guy how long he had worked there. He said 12 years. He added: This place used to be a Denny's and before that it was ....... Sambo's.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I actually looked it up on Wikipedia. When Sambo's went under Denny's bought a lot of the stores.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

About a mile from where I grew up, there was a laundromat called Helpee-Selfee.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

with a dry cleaner in the front named No Tickee No Shirtee?

12. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

There used to be a little storefront Chinese place on Bourbon Street called Takee Outee. They must have sold a million shish-ka-bobs to hungry drunks.

Draft saved Draft deleted