1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Two takes, or takedowns, on 'Redskins'

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by inthesuburbs, Sep 18, 2009.

1. inthesuburbs

inthesuburbs Member

From Bill Plaschke in L.A.:
    'Redskins' is no honor, it's an insult

from Mike Wise in Washington:
    Last Word on 'Redskins' is Not Ours
  2. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

I consider myself a pretty fluent speaker of English, and I'm not sure what Plaschke's trying to say in his lede. False equivalency doesn't even begin to describe it.

Leaving aside the delightful Plaschke-ness of the one-word paragraph..."a threat to an entire ethnic group?"

An insult? Absolutely. But a "threat?" It makes Plaschke come off as hysterical, not persuasive. And for that matter, "the sports world" "celebrates" ... what? The Redskins' name?

As so often when I read Plaschke, I'm left shaking my head and wondering if I've missed something.
  3. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Our paper forbids the use of the word Redskin. I don't personally have a problem with that. My big problem is when people try to say use of an Indian word is offensive when the Indian group it represents says "we don't have a problem with it".
  4. Mr. X

Mr. X Member

How much interest is there in Southern California about the dispute over the nickname of Washington's NFL team? My guess is not much. Wouldn't Bill Plaschke have served his readers better if he wrote about something there was more interest in?
  5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Apples and oranges lugnuts.
  6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Unless you are willing to ban them all, don't pick on one.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Active Member

Bottom right reminds me of billboards for South Of The Border at the SC-NC border.

Funny ... nobody complains about Pedro.
  8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Found this, though I'm pretty sure the top billboard still stands. Or did two years ago, when I saw it last.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
  9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

And don't forget this gem:

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

'Burbs, I would guess with the lack of posts, this topic has been covered in past threads.
  11. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

As an Irish-American, this makes me furious.
  12. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

To be accurate, it needs some puke on the shoes.
Draft saved Draft deleted