1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Two Students Shot at Delaware State

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spup1122, Sep 21, 2007.

1. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Two students were shot at Delaware State around 1:30 this morning. Gunman is still at large. Classes were cancelled.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aGP_7DVqBe48&refer=home

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

wish the story would have said if the cops knew who they were looking for.

3. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

New AP story says the gunman is unidentified.

Delaware State University is under lockdown this morning following a campus shooting.

Two students were wounded in the shooting that happened around 1 this morning. Both are hospitalized: a woman whose injuries are said to be life-threatening, and a man whose injuries are not as serious.

A university spokesman says police are hoping for more information from the victims, but for now the unidentified gunman is on the loose.

Classes on the Dover campus have been canceled today and students have been told to stay in their dorms until further notice. People off campus are being told to stay away.

Delaware State University is a historically black college and was founded in 1890. It's 3,600 students come from more than three-dozen states and two-dozen nations.

4. I just graduated from Delaware State in August, and when I say this has been a bad month-long stretch for the school (the three kids who were killed and one seriously injured in Newark, NJ), I mean it. The campus is a small, walking campus on Route 13 in Dover, so it's really not in an urban setting, but campus security is so poor that anybody can get on campus. We had a cousin of a student who raped a couple of girls a while back, and I'm willing to bet this was some local person who was trying to rob somebody. It's a sad state of affairs all around.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I wish Virginia Tech had thought of this.

6. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Fuck you, 93Devil.

That being said, I'm not really happy to hear this news.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Sorry, but I am not ready to wrap myself in a purple and orange ribbon over how that played out.

No disrespect to the students at Tech, but I hope a lot of lessons were learned that day.

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I am in no way making any rush to judgments or placing blame. But I can't help but find it weird that Pearlman writes about the Delaware-Delaware State yesterday, and this happens early this morning.

And I really mean it when I say "weird." I'm sure this is just a coincidence; it's just strange to me.

9. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

93Devil, there's a huge difference between a shooting 7 hours before classes start and one that happens during class-time in which they had a lead.

The fact you would take a rude, cheap shot like that on a thread like this shows a lot about yourself.

10. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

93Devil, you've shown nothing but disrespect to the Virginia Tech students on this thread.

11. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

That's bullshit.

12. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Part of the reason that Delaware State is taking such actions is precisely because of VT.

Draft saved Draft deleted