1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Two stitches and a tetanus shot...$900

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Batman, May 12, 2008.

1. joe

joe Active Member

If it was two stitches, man up and put a Band-Aid on it, butterfly if necessary.

2. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

This thread should piss everyone off.

Seriously...why should we continue to accept this bullshit? $900 for a cut? Calling ahead when you're seriously hurt? Treating yourself?

We need to change this way of thinking.

3. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

You went to the ER.

It costs more there.

Saline, Super Glue, Neosporin, Band-Aid.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I'll resist the urge to make a smug comment.

5. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Well, the tetanus shot isn't exactly a readymade home application.

And if you do get lockjaw, well, then you be fucked.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Never pay the first insurance bill.

Have it resubmitted and see what the new number is.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

99 times out of 100, I would have. This time, for some reason, I saw the jagged flesh and blood and panicked. I was embarrassed when I got to the hospital and they cleaned it up a little and said it was almost too small a cut for stitches. Next time, I'll be sure to sever it so I get my money's worth.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

My guess was Chef had authored a best of book and "Two Stitches And A Tetanus Shot...$900" was the title.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I hope you got a prescription for some really strong pain meds that you can resell and recoup your losses for being such a simpering little girl.

10. Cadet

Cadet Guest

The reason I'll never go to an ER unless I'm taken unconscious:

Few years ago I went to an insurance-covered urgent care for "The Worst Headache Of My Life," the kind they warn you about because it might signal a blood clot. Urgent care decided I needed to go to the ER. I was smart enough to have a friend drive me instead of taking the ambulance, which would have cost a small fortune because all ambulance companies are private now.

I went to an insurance-approved hospital. The hospital visit and any medications I received while I was there were covered. What was not covered was the CAT scan. Seems as if the machine, inside the hospital, was operated by a separate, private company that was not insurance-approved. And the radiologists who read the CAT scan were part of a doctor's group that was also not insurance-approved. So I paid out-of-network rates for two services in which I didn't have a choice of provider because they were AT THE FUCKING HOSPITAL. Even after fighting and negotiating I still paid out a total of $6,000 for that incident.

11. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Ugh! That's outrageous.

What was the final verdict, BTW? Just a migraine?

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I would not have paid that. That's BS.

Draft saved Draft deleted