1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Two sports staffers among Strib departures

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Lucas Wiseman, Jun 5, 2007.

1. Lucas Wiseman

Lucas Wiseman Well-Known Member

Nearly 50 folks appear to be on the way out at the Minneapolis Star Tribune, including two sports staffers.

Among those on the list, which was released late Tuesday night, are sports reporter Jay Weiner and sports news assistant Chris Norman.

The posting on the Strib's Web site says: "This is a list of newsroom employees who will be leaving the Star Tribune, most of them through a voluntary buyout program. Other buyout applications are still being evaluated, and some additional departures might be announced in the coming days. In addition, those taking voluntary buyouts have 15 days to rescind their application, meaning a few may decide to stay."

http://www.startribune.com/535/story/1227475.html

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

That list is huge... Grow's going?!?
    Damn...

3. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

Yet another sad day for us, and a happy day for the suits.

Does anyone really trust anyone in management anymore?

What a buncha Sleazy Fucking Bastards.

And please quote me on that.

4. jambalaya

jambalaya Member

Doug left a big impression on me. He taught us why it's so important to fight for the little guy. I hope he's just at the time in his life where he can happily move on to the next challenge.

5. Ira_Schoffel

Ira_Schoffel Member

And Par Ridder seemed like such a swell guy. ::)

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

That's subpar ridder to you, pal...

7. boots

boots New Member

I know a good newssider on that list. Very disheartening.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Grow's going? Holy shit! Any chance he'll wind up across the river?

9. North61

North61 Member

I've always respected the work of Chuck Haga. He was one of the few reasons to pick up the Strib's news section. I'm sad to see the cuts and what will happen to this paper.

10. In Cold Blood

In Cold Blood Member

Man, these boards sure are depressing lately. I can't move two threads down the page without seeing more cutbacks...

kinda makes me wander if I should have gotten a business major and journalism minor in school instead of the other way around...

If any of the people at any of the affected papers post on here, my thoughts are with you. Here's hoping everybody lands on his or her feet.

for a guy just starting out, and absolutely in love with my newspaper job, its scary to think about how quickly things are changing. Newspapers may die out before i really get to experience them fully.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Grow's a great columnist and a hell of a nice guy.

Be a shame not to read him there any more.

12. jambalaya

jambalaya Member

My career began in 1994 at a small daily where I compiled agate on a Coyote computer and sent it to the composing room where I helped people physically glue sticks of type on a page.

Today, I'm applying for a "newspaper" job where I truly may never have to use paper at all through the course of my duties.

That's 13 years if my math is right.

Yes, things have changed quickly.

Draft saved Draft deleted