1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Two sports openings, Dalton, Ga.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Marty Kirkland, Jun 17, 2010.

1. Marty Kirkland

Marty Kirkland New Member

Sports designer/writer
    The Daily Citizen, an 11,000 circulation newspaper in Dalton, Ga., has an opening for a designer/writer in a three-person sports department. While this position will involve some reporting/writing, layout experience is a must as regular desk duties — including overseeing a weekly high school football tab during the season — will be part of the job. Focus is primarily on high school and community sports, but you will be welcome and encouraged to pursue other areas of coverage as time and need allows. Along with strong writing skills and knowledge of AP style, you should be dependable and show initiative and creativity. A Community Newspaper Holdings, Inc. paper, we’ve done well in both Georgia Press Association and Georgia Associated Press Association competition in recent years and strive to maintain a reputation for thorough coverage of a six-school — soon to be seven — two-county area while making progress in enterprise reporting. Ideas and innovations for improving our presence online and in social networking are also highly valued. Salary commensurate with experience. Send a cover letter, resumé and layout/writing clips to martykirkland@daltoncitizen.com.

Sports writer/designer
    The Daily Citizen, an 11,000 circulation newspaper in Dalton, Ga., has an opening for a writer/designer in a three-person sports department. While layout experience is preferred as this position will include some desk duties, reporting experience is a must because the job will primarily involve writing, including for a weekly high school football tab during the season. Focus is primarily on high school and community sports, but you will be welcome and encouraged to pursue other areas of coverage as time and need allows. Along with strong writing skills and knowledge of AP style, you should be dependable and show initiative and creativity. A Community Newspaper Holdings, Inc. paper, we’ve done well in both Georgia Press Association and Georgia Associated Press Association competition in recent years and strive to maintain a reputation for thorough coverage of a six-school — soon to be seven — two-county area while making progress in enterprise reporting. Ideas and innovations for improving our presence online and in social networking are also highly valued. Salary commensurate with experience. Send a cover letter, resumé and layout/writing clips to martykirkland@daltoncitizen.com.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

This seems like a heart attack waiting to happen having to work on a weekly tab on a three-person desk.

3. RDennis

RDennis New Member

Well, I have submitted my stuff. I hope for some good news!

4. CYowSMR

CYowSMR Member

Really wishing I could move about 30 miles closer to Dalton and apply for this one. Just a little out of my range from where I am now, though.

If only I lived in Trenton.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Not even a three-person desk. A three-person department. I'd assume that includes writing. So not only is it a daily paper, but you'd be helping to put out a weekly tab as well.

But what would you expect from a CNHI paper?

6. CYowSMR

CYowSMR Member

We put out a tab with a one person sports department and GA news guys that help when we can...

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

And I'm sure you work just 40 hours a week.

8. CYowSMR

CYowSMR Member

That's correct. 40 hours and we get yelled at for working any more :mad:

9. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

No, no. You get yelled at for expecting to be paid for working any more.

10. CYowSMR

CYowSMR Member

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

My management: You need to send people home when they reach 40 hours.
    Me: Who is going to cover all the stuff we have going on over the weekend?

Is it any wonder I lasted about 15 minutes?

Draft saved Draft deleted