1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Two Sports Desk Openings, The Washington Times

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by John Taylor, Jan 15, 2008.

1. IGotQuestions

IGotQuestions Member

were I looking, I'd seriously consider this paper. Good people. I like their section.

2. aschaefe

aschaefe New Member

What's going on with these?

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Maybe Rev. Moon will log on and let us know.

4. 212areacode

212areacode Member

I worked in DC for two years. The Times is obviously not a No. 1 paper, but if you're at a smaller place and want a nice stepping stone, you could do worse.

5. MrBSquared

MrBSquared Member

I had a buddy in Ohio who left and wound up working at the Times. He never said anything bad about it. Have heard the pay is so-so, and have heard a lot more about the News side than the Sports side. Then I left for Texas and lost touch. What is the rep of the Sports side?

6. Editude

Editude Active Member

Peer worked on the sports staff some years ago. He thought the place was OK (it was a stepping stone for him) and he really liked the section's lack of preps coverage relative to pro and college sports.

7. If you are white, male, dress poorly, worked at the Diamondback and willing to work for 34K in an expensive metro area, the job is yours.

8. aschaefe

aschaefe New Member

I meet all of those qualifications except the Diamondback (did internships instead). Does that mean I'm hired?

9. John Taylor

John Taylor Member

We have interviewed a few great candidates (none from Maryland, all dressed rather well, believe it or not) and are in the process of going over some final details. The jobs remain open, though, so if you are interested feel free to send something in -- but do it quickly, because we expect to act soon on this, hopefully within the next couple week.

Thanks for your interest -- and thanks to the folks who had real answers and honest questions in this thread.

10. aschaefe

aschaefe New Member

I'm not graduating until May, so I guess that takes me out of the running. Thanks for the response though.

Draft saved Draft deleted