1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Two Sports Desk Openings, The Washington Times

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by John Taylor, Jan 15, 2008.

1. John Taylor

John Taylor Member

The Washington Times, a 100,000 circulation paper in our nation's capital, is looking for two individuals to play key roles in its award-winning sports department.

We are looking for a creative page designer who can help maintain our high standards for journalism design while being a part of a fast-paced sports department. Candidates should have an eye for good design, while being able to adjust to breaking news and tight deadlines.

Responsibilities for this position include design of inside pages and occasional specialty pages and sports section fronts. Candidates should be familiar with such applications as Adobe Illustrator, PhotoShop and QuarkXpress.

We also are looking for a sports copy editor with strong words skills and a keen eye for detail. Candidates should have experience at a daily newspaper and be able to work on tight deadlines and adjust to breaking news. Knowledge of QuarkXpress is a plus.

Working nights and weekends is required for both positions. The candidates should have a passion for sports and work well with others.

If you're interested, please submit cover letter, resume and portfolio (up to 10 pages ) to:

Mark Hartsell
    Sports Editor
    The Washington Times
    3600 New York Ave. NE
    Washington, D.C., 20002

Questions? Shoot me an e-mail at jtaylor@washingtontimes.com

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Again, you get to work with/for Harrison Goodman. Definite Doc Seal of Approval.

3. VJ

VJ Member

Again, feel free to PM me with any questions.

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

John is good people. That is all.

5. Smokey33

Smokey33 Member

I hear the pay is horrible, as in you'd have to get a roommate and not eat much.

6. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Mark Hartsell is good people.
    Or at least was in 1990-91, when I worked with him in Dallas.

7. Fisch

Fisch Member

I second what The Good Doctor says about Harrison, I'm still pissed we weren't able to get him to move to St. Louis when I was at the P-D.

8. VJ

VJ Member

I hear he's looking forward to getting some new staffers in by March so the NCAA Tournament (hosting a first/second rd) and baseball special section (new stadium) don't drive him mad.

9. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I will second that. John is a very good guy.

10. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I remember Harrison from my time at The Diamondback. Good guy.

11. UMDjschool

UMDjschool New Member

Now he just demands ribs and coffee all the time and grumbles about the agate clerk. Its a shame. A damn shame.

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

But you wouldn't be the agate clerk.

Draft saved Draft deleted